Any frame issues w/ towing ~12k lbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most states nowadays dont need to put it on the Registration... most RMV/DMVs have VIN access and are tied to the NHSTA info... couple minutes and they know what your vehicle is rated for from the factory... all the better to them if you say you "upgraded" the capacity... thats a dinner bell.

If you are examined by State DOT, rest assured that they will porta scale you if they remotely think you are over-weight. Here in Massachusetts, the Mass State Police have DOT units, tasked specifically with doing exactly this... They are easily identified by their Black para-military uniforms (and some vehicles too) vs the typical M.S.P. "Blue and Gray".
You must be registered for see images attach

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Can we access that database to verify accuracy and save our own bacon?

If you get a ticket, and go to court, you must request 'disclosure', and in it, you would specifically ask for that information. Same with the LEO's training certifications, etc.

If you don't ask, you don't get. In a court of law, an expert ( not you, a layperson ) can also give opinion evidence.... even if there is no other evidence led.

In short, unless you know the rules, and play the game as it's meant to be played, you can bet your arse is going to get convicted in a court of law.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Like Brother Al stated, all they have to do is punch in your VIN, they will have all of the information available at their fingertips in a matter of seconds.

Quite a few read industry newsletters and actual case law. This is just one site of many:

http://prosecutors.on.ca/about/

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Can we access that database to verify accuracy and save our own bacon?

Not sure how it works down in your neck of the woods, but you may want to put in an "Access to Information" request. Google might help you out, but confusing since different states will have different rulings.

What may be 'legal' within the province I reside may not be in the one next to it.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The databases are not open for public access because the info could be used to turn stolen cars into legitimate-appearing ones more easily.

Michael is spot on in his statements. Ive watched many a person try using arguements they read on the web in their defending statements... its all too obvious and typically offer no substancial contradictory evidence in their defense, or they actually admit to violating (sometimes without realizing it) and try to argue innocence using a technicality that bears no legal weight whatsoever.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
At this point, I'm speaking more to towing legally and their info differing from yours and incorrectly placing you in the illegal category.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
At this point, I'm speaking more to towing legally and their info differing from yours and incorrectly placing you in the illegal category.

As long as there exists reasonable grounds to initiate a traffic stop, you can't stop them from doing an examination. Here in Onterrible, they go as far as checking the hitch ratings, the ball rating, the cap rating, whether or not the coupler has a 'lock' installed, and on and on, safety chains, break away kit.

You can bet that they have 'average' weights in a simple flip chart to help them determine if you are overweight before pulling out the portable scales.

Pulling a 16 foot tandem dump trailer with a half ton is pretty much a dead giveaway.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score

My suggestion, if you live somewhere near a 'CAT' certified scale, if you want to make sure you are within your ratings, weigh the combination, and keep the print out, it may be evidence in your favor.