Any frame issues w/ towing ~12k lbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Shovelbill how does the average LEO determine if you are overweight? I doubt they crack open the owner's manual on the side of the road. Don't they typically just go off the axle weight ratings and GVWR on the door sticker?

When you hand them your ownership for the vehicle.....

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Shovelbill how does the average LEO determine if you are overweight? I doubt they crack open the owner's manual on the side of the road. Don't they typically just go off the axle weight ratings and GVWR on the door sticker?

as was stated Supercharged111...and....have you ever seen "portable scales"? in my area there's special police units that set up "inspection stations" on the side of a main thoroughfare........not HIGHWAYS, but 2 lane roads that are also truck routes, with cars parked at meters on both sides.....fu@k up traffic like you wouldn't believe! sometimes they have K9 units too.......with portable scales......anything with a trailer has to at least stop and get the once over.....and i've seen private vehicles with campers stuck at these things.....don't get caught off a truck route in Zoo Yawk ******.....you'll ****** PAY.

hell, on the NYS Throughway, at certain times of the year these fukks have the highway signs lite up "ALL MOTORCYCLES PULL INTO INSPECTION STATION"....they use the closed weigh station to harass bikers......under the guise of "safety". and they go over you and your bike........take pictures for their biker database and all sorts of ****.

last time i went through there i was 3 of my club brothers and we did pull in.......we all had paper and were legal.......after arguing with us i asked the cop to see his NYS inspectors license, all hell broke out then.....i asked why was the K9 unit there, do the dogs have THEIR inspectors licenses? i asked why DHS was there, he said they weren't, i said why does that car have green lights on the roof it for inspections? M-4's and flak jackets???? we went round and round till a Sgt. told us to get out of there.........imagine the **** they'd get if the sign said "all Cadillacs pull in".......lawyers would light the fukkers up! but pick on us, that's fine..............kunts

ok, back to the trailer ****......if a cop wants, they can make you wait on the side of the road till the portable scales show up.....and if his ticket quota isn't met, bet that will happen. it's not all over the country YET, but rest assured it will be.

everyone can go out and tow overloaded....i really don't give a ****.....just kill YOURSELF and not a car load of kids.

i'm not opening anymore towing threads. the sheer stupidity that sometimes lies within is obscene and i don't need to read it, i just have to live with it on the road.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Most states do have it on the registration. However you can register your vehicle for more or less than the manufacturer rating. At an increase or decrease in payments.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most states do have it on the registration. However you can register your vehicle for more or less than the manufacturer rating. At an increase or decrease in payments.

Here in the state of Michigan they charge you for your vehicle license by how much you paid for it, not how much weight it is rated for, I'm to lazy to look on the title or registration to see if it says there. But isn't there a sticker on the drivers side door some where with either your GVW or the gross axle weight rating? But still if you over load the frame you are asking for trouble, maybe not today or tomorrow but someday in the future.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
GVWR =/= tow rating. If you don't have an owner's manual, what are they gonna do? Google it on the side of the road and write you a ticket that way? GAWR and GVWR are the only tools they have, so if you rip the sticker off now what can they do? They'll be limited to tires, and you can throw heavier rated tires on your truck all day long. That's why I ask what I ask, I've never been inspected before and don't know what criteria they use.

PapaGrune

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't have to give you a ticket for,being overweight.

They can give you a ticket for un - safe use of a motor vehicle. Take a picture with a cell phone or Camara with the backside of your truck sagging or the trailer level high in the front or back.

Only a lawyer or someone to look into the subject. Most people will just pay the ticket.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got pulled over by dot and he pulled a set of scales out of the back of his SUV. I left with a 500$ ticket for being 1k lbs overweight. 1k lbs in a t600 Kenworth is the equivalent of carrying a couple extra business cards in your wallet and someone saying you looked like you gained weight. Dot are ***** and can do whatever the f### they want. Some of em are alright, but if their lights are on they've got bein a dick on their mind.