Another truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i'm going to look at a 91ecsb this weekend. The motor is a 350 4 bolt main with 85k edelbrock highlift cam, 1996 vortec heads, performer link timing set, all new rods and mains, edelbrock 600cfm carb, and a new polished intake, the motor has about 2,000 miles since its been upgraded (guy told me about 320hp?), the trans is a 700r4 with a shift kit, it has a 14 bolt rearend with a locker. The interior is mint. He wants 1200 bucks for it so i couldn't pass it up. I used to go to school with him and hes hard up for cash. The bad: no receipts for anything but the trans rebuild.

My plans
-Put the 350 in my stepside, with a zz4 cam and lifter set (maybe depending on how i like the edelbrock stuff), different heads if needed or get the ones on it cleaned up.
- Also i want to run the motor on tbi for the added power and fuel mileage (Is a 96-98 vortec intake and stuff any better?).
-I'm also planning on a tune.
-Run his 14 bolt and locker.
- Keep my 4L60E trans (give the 700r to my dad)

Questions
Can I put a tbi on this motor with the right intake?
Everything is plug and play once the tbi is on?

Any help is appreciated Thanks. Pics this weekend if I end up with it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The 350 from an 87 or older will have a different hintake manifold pattern from the tbi and vortech if you switch the heads then it doesn't matter, but the 87 and older has a 2piece rear main seal, which makes it easier to turn into a 383 since the 400 that you would use the crank from would be 2piece. Know you can connect the engine from all three style of engine to your tranny. Correct me if I didn't get the just of your question

Reaction score
Oh I understand your question sorry, yeah I'm sure if you use tbi or vortec heads then you can run tbi, the only difference is that all 12 bolts on 87 heads are perpenduclar with the surface that the manifold goes on, and tbi and vortech have the outside bolts perpendicular but the center bolts on both sides go straight down top to bottom.if the guy has vortex headsand a carburetor, then the manifold is either made for vortech or has interchangable inserts that change the angle of the bolts. So the vortex will swap

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can use that motor and intake since its a carb intake you can run adapter plate to change to tbi
but you can get a tbi intake that'll bolt to the vortec heads its around $300-350.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beware you won't get **** for power after you drop the TBI on it. You'll need to find a 454 tbi to get close to the same CFM as that carb. Stock TBI's are only 470 cfm IIRC. Either way 300+hp gets expensive modifying the TBI to supply enough fuel.

If it's already got vortec heads, why not put MPFI on it? Or keep the carb and not deal with any of the electronic bs.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't end up buying the truck after about a week and a half of him trying to decide if he wanted to sell it or after I went and looked at it he decided not to sell it. My plans now are to build up a 88-98 350, with a good cam, vortec heads, intake, headers, and full exhaust, tbi spacer (already have one) and of course a tune. Ive been reading on a few cams and the one that seems the best suited for me is the comp cams tri-power xtreme TPX 246HR-16, Ive been thinking about the tbi as well. Where i'm using an 88-98 block they were 210 hp stock so im figuring I might have around 250-275hp after I do these mods. So will the 470cfm tbi work or will I still need to look into 454 injectors or maybe even purchasing the holley 670 cfm tbi? Also any input appreciated if you have think there are any other mods I should be thinking about. But remember this motor is on a budget.

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 350 TBI is good for up to 300HP but i believe the 250-300hp range you have to change the regulator to a 18psi one and fuel pump