Another Ls/L94 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I acquired a l94 motor I’m going to swap into my 89. I’ll be running a Holley terminator. Mild cam, DOD delete, stock heads, shorty headers, upgraded lifters, stock rotating assembly. I’m also swapping a 14 bolt to the rear for reliability over the 10 bolt.

- What are the best motor mounts to use to adapt a LS to our trucks?
- I know the 700r4 will bolt up, but is it strong enough to handle a mild cam 6.2? I assume not.
- what’s needed to swap a 6l80? This seems like a straigh forward swap and moving the transmission crossmember back combined with new driveshafts. My question is more related to the shifter column. Can I get the linkage to go to the oem column?
- if I swap in a 6l80, what transfer case should I use? I’d prefer to keep it a manual transfer case.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the 700r4 will bolt up, but is it strong enough to handle a mild cam 6.2? I assume not.
I think it depends more on how you drive it than the horsepower level. That said, I'm pretty gentle on transmissions, and I wouldn't put a 700R4 behind a 6.2. Those came with a 6L80 for a reason.

If you're going to run a Holley Terminator, you might as well step up to the X Max and have it control the 6L80.

Also, the 6L80 swap has been done and documented, albeit behind an L31. On page two he mentions the shifter linkage. Here's the link:

Last edited: