Another LS swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The real question is why is an 8.1L/4L80E swap not more common. It is a much better truck engine than an absolutely gutless 6.0L or 5.3L. An 8.1L is on par with a 6.0L as for fuel mileage and has another ~200 ft/lbs of torque down at 2,000 rpm where you spend 95% of your time driving at.
My 8.1 kicks my 6.0 in milage and every other way also

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are around. I know of 5 8.8l psi long block cores. The 8.1 are around. Van and suburban will be 4l85 and the van and big stuff(top kick/ Kodiak) have the high mount ac bracket

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Dropped88 has done 2, with my truck waiting on me to get time to take him a motor so he can do a 3rd.
Right on. I'll search for his posts/threads.
I honestly haven't even looked for one around here, but I'm sure I could dig one up, and then change my mind when I see what they want for one, especially a pulled one already. A few years ago a 5.3 went for $500-$600, now asking 1k. And 6.0s are 2k now. Could only imagine what a 8.1 would go for ready to go.
But the pick n pulls around here ALL the motors are $350-$400ish, just gotta put the sweat equity in.
Thanks for the lead.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly haven't even looked for one around here, but I'm sure I could dig one up, and then change my mind when I see what they want for one, especially a pulled one already. A few years ago a 5.3 went for $500-$600, now asking 1k. And 6.0s are 2k now. Could only imagine what a 8.1 would go for ready to go.
But the pick n pulls around here ALL the motors are $350-$400ish, just gotta put the sweat equity in.
Thanks for the lead.
If he hasn't written it up shoot him a PM, I'm sure he'll share what he's learned.

D-Day

Reaction score
I know my decision was the number of 5.3's that were out there and parts available. Also it bolts directly to my 4L60E already installed.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the lead.
I got both of my 8.1Ls for less than the cost of one 6.0L here. Both fully dressed with the high mount ac brackets.