Another 97 k3500 crew dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago i was backing out of my driveway and the truck felt like it bound up and came to a stop. I gave it some gas and it made a bang and broke free, i assumed i had a rear brake getting stuck and thought nothing of it.
2 weeks later i was on my way to work and i felt it again going about 45 mph, turned down the radio and heard a squall/grinding noise. Stopped and shook the driveshaft hoping it was a carrier bearing and everything was tight, got it back home and opened the pumpkin cover and guess what? I killed a 14 bolt. Gear oil was full, both pinion bearings were toast, inner was gone, outer was dying. I found a whole replacement locally and swapped my brakes and hubs to it.
You must be registered for see images attach

All that in the bottom is/was a pinion bearing

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

There used to be a gooseneck hitch in the back of my truck from a previous owner. One of the first things I did was opened the rear diff and inspected it. I put a B&M cover on there so now I have a drain and fill plug, plus carrier bearing supports.

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This one has pulled a gooseneck as well, i probably should have changed the gear oil when i got it, i did check the level the day i got it tho, bad luck i guess haha

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a new set of 285/75/16 kenda klever mts and 2" spacers for the back. Also picked up this westin brush guard for $40 at a local junkyard.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First thing this spring will be a new bed. Not a spec of rust on my cab, bed has holes in the walls and bedsides under the fenders big enough to lose a 10" piece of firewood out of lol

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
First thing this spring will be a new bed. Not a spec of rust on my cab, bed has holes in the walls and bedsides under the fenders big enough to lose a 10" piece of firewood out of lol

Throw up some pics of the rusty bed lol. I had a 79 k20 and i tried loading a bolens garden tractor in the bed and drive right through the dam thing lol. The only thing that held the bed sides together was the tailgate and the front and the only thing holding the sides up was the rear bumper lol. The floor was literally rusted off just sitting on the frame. Nice truck btw

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Throw up some pics of the rusty bed lol. I had a 79 k20 and i tried loading a bolens garden tractor in the bed and drive right through the dam thing lol. The only thing that held the bed sides together was the tailgate and the front and the only thing holding the sides up was the rear bumper lol. The floor was literally rusted off just sitting on the frame. Nice truck btw
Lmao!
Ile get a few tomorrow

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Sounds like a piece of plywood on the floor would have fixed you right up.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not enough to notice, im really happy it got my rpms down at highway speeds, unloaded mpg has improved a little.

Good to know, mine has puny stock 225/75/16 at the moment and at first I thought the truck had 4.56 gears.