Aftermarket EFI on Vortec 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wasn't saying the design of the intake was to blame, just that I personally don't like it and think it's a pain to work with. As I said, I'm sure my experience with the two I've owned is biased because of horrible treatment from previous owners but regardless, it's still a pain at least for me. Replacing the lower intake gaskets is a lot easier and less time consuming process not to mention slightly less expensive if all you have to do is remove a throttle body, remove the intake, then replace the gaskets vs disconnecting every sensor, disconnecting the infinitely difficult to work on egr tube, removing the upper intake, removing all injectors, fuel rail, etc then finally removing the lower intake. Again though, my question isn't if I should or shouldn't. My question is will the pcm control the 4l80e or do I need an aftermarket controller.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many times are you really planning on having to replace the lower intake gaskets?

Richard

Whenever it needs to be done. I think people missed the question in the original post though and have homed in on the what for's and why's. I don't care about losing 20hp or 5mpg. I want simple. I want easier to work on for the what if's, regardless of how often or seldom they come along. I want a cleaner look under the hood. I'm not trying to solicit approval. Ultimately the answer would be the same as if I'd asked can I put a $1000 night vision scope on a $350 Highpoint Carbine-because I just want to. I'm simply wanting to know if I'll need an aftermarket controller OR if the factory pcm will still do the job for the transmission if I end up doing this. I will need one, I won't need one, or I don't know will suffice. Not trying to be a jerk, but I can't understand why people have to delve this far into other people's motives for working on their own trucks. Swapping to a carb, I could understand. Putting a 4L60 in place of the 80 that's already in it, I could understand raising some questions. The systems I've mentioned are known weak spots on those engines though and I plan on having this truck a while and want it easier and cheaper to work on in the next 200k miles.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No need to get your Jimmies rustled. I "understand" what you're going for, but if you're dead set on doing something and just can't take some constructive questioning about your motives, then damn dude just go ahead and do it.

But first, consider that the effort you're going to is just that: effort. Money you spend required effort to earn, as well. After all that effort, the net gain in simplicity is actually a loss.

If you want simple, sell your Vortec-equipped truck and buy a TBI-equipped one. That has the simpler setup you desire...

Richard

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No need to get your Jimmies rustled. I "understand" what you're going for, but if you're dead set on doing something and just can't take some constructive questioning about your motives, then damn dude just go ahead and do it.

But first, consider that the effort you're going to is just that: effort. Money you spend required effort to earn, as well. After all that effort, the net gain in simplicity is actually a loss.

If you want simple, sell your Vortec-equipped truck and buy a TBI-equipped one. That has the simpler setup you desire...

Richard

My knickers aren't in a twist, I'm just trying to get an answer to a simple question not more questions as to motive. I'm not dead set on it either, if that were the case I'd never have bothered posting here and just done it.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you swap intakes, you can still run your factory black box pcm (Blackbear can time it) or swap to 0411.

If you do a CNP conversion, I believe you have to go to 0411 (don’t have my notes here with me,) and have to add coil wires, which is simple to do.

I’ve got PNs for the L21 stuff needed also if you decide to go that route.

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
99% of the time when someone "fixes" their vehicle by taking off some relatively well engineered (but admittedly not always perfect) factory system and installing an aftermarket system, what they end up with is a cobbled mess that doesn't work NEAR as well as stock, and is less dependable by far, with now degraded value to anyone but an idiot. If I was buying a used truck and someone had done what you're considering, I would instantly shut the hood and walk away.

I have a '99 C3500 454 Crew Cab that I bought new off the lot. 284,000+ miles with another 284,000 left in her. Yes, I did have to change out the injectors for leaking 8 or 10 years ago. Everything else is original.

Tom

OldHoster

Reaction score
I am not going to down you at all. The factory system SUCKS ASS!

I am in the process of doing two of these. My boat has two Holly Dominator systems, I have had multiple restomods with Terminators in them, I have never had a sniper system, while I did consider it recently I decided against it. did a Holly Terminator X on a 454 SS. These are all my personal vehicles, the 454 had to go to the graveyard in the sky because of an idiot.

The first one is a 95 two door Tahoe. It is getting a Terminator X EFI system. On a LSx motor, transmission control, boost etc will all be ran by the Terminator X. This is an off road pre-runner SUV. I will drive it on road as well.

The second one is a 1963 Corvette that currently has a 438 inch motor in it. I don't know what exactly is in the motor, as I just acquired it as is, but it is fairly hot. My end game is completely certain on the car yet, but I am keeping my options open. I am either going to a 800-1000 hp LS or a smaller small block, I haven't decided yet which direction with this car. The reason I am not going with the Sniper is two fold. The first is lack of transmission control, the second is the flexibility of the Terminator X to do what ever I want it to.