Aftermarket EFI on Vortec 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy OldHoster, it does not sound like any of the 3 applications you mentioned had the Vortec setup that he's intending to replace. The 454SS would have been TBI, the 95 Tahoe would also have been TBI as well as a small block.. and of course the 63 Corvette with the non-original big block was undoubtedly not a Vortec setup.

Have you had experience with a Vortec 7.4?

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Holley sniper efi has been good so far on my Gen V 454 tbi with a Weiand chinese cast intake manifold, some grinding was required. Use factory ECM to control trans by keeping some of the sensors hooked up and remote TPS. I don't think you'll lose any power by upgrading the intake side. See Richard Holdener on the youtube for big block chevy dyno videos - he usually grabs a Gen VI from the junkyard and mods it.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As if to illustrate my point, after replacing all 8 injectors I'm still showing an intermittent miss on #4 and constant miss on #3. Plugs, wires, distributor are all new so I'm not sure what else it could be besides injectors.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Move the injectors. If the problem moves, the injectors are guilty. If the problem doesn't move, more diagnosis is required. The problem could still be the cap or wires. Even if they have already been replaced, don't assume that a new part is necessarily a good part.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As if to illustrate my point, after replacing all 8 injectors I'm still showing an intermittent miss on #4 and constant miss on #3. Plugs, wires, distributor are all new so I'm not sure what else it could be besides injectors.

Did you replace the entire distributor or just the cap and rotor? And what injectors did you install?
------------------------
I say if you've got the money to burn and time to kill, go for the aftermarket EFI; Plus there's enough L29 trucks on here running factory intakes with simple mods like injectors or 0411s, we could get a good comparison to see if you make more power.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you replace the entire distributor or just the cap and rotor? And what injectors did you install?
------------------------
I say if you've got the money to burn and time to kill, go for the aftermarket EFI; Plus there's enough L29 trucks on here running factory intakes with simple mods like injectors or 0411s, we could get a good comparison to see if you make more power.

I used the upgraded Bosch injectors, not the factory style. Entire distributor is new, I didn't replace it that had been done by the previous owner when I bought it. Didn't know that until I pulled it though. I did replace the cap rotor and wires. I'm not concerned with making more power though, and as I said in my original post I'm not concerned with losing a little because this isn't going to be a mud truck, show truck, tow pig, or anything other than a daily driver. I drive less than 10 miles to work every day, don't travel much so losing a few mpg's from what is sure to be an already low number isn't a concern either. Under ideal circumstances I'd rather have the factory system, but in my opinion this isn't an ideal circumstance. I also understand that there are those who have had few issues with their factory setup and wouldn't dream of changing it because for them and their needs/wants it works fine. But for me, this being the third K2500 Suburban I've owned and the second Vortec 454 I've owned, the factory system has given me nothing but problems be it leaky injectors or leaking upper and lower intake gaskets.