Adding Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
my current setup is a 96 k1500 with the 6.5 in cepek lift 35x25.5 r17 tires the t bars arent cranked any to my knowledge. my question is what is the maximum height i can go up from here without putting too much stress on front end parts cvs, ect... How can i do it and about how much would it cost

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would cost you about 30 minutes of your time. You'll need a floor jack and a 18mm socket wrench. The Cepek lift kit drops everything the full 6.5" right? Well you can safely and effectively take it to 8" (1.5" of crank) without wearing parts or having harsh ride, which 1.5" crank goes for any stock height trucks as well...It's just a good rule of thumb. You say you're not sure if you're cranked well look at your front CV angles...They should be damn near flat. If they're angled up a bit then you're cranked some...You def just don't want them looking like this / \ So what you're going to do is if they are near flat get a tape measurer and measure your fender height from center of fender to ground on each side. Say it's 45"...Then you go and put 2 full turns on each bars and measure your fenders until they get to 46.5" which would be the 1.5" of lift...get it? Oh, forgot to mention you will want to jack the truck up before you crank. It takes all that weight off of you physically turning that tbar key makes it 1000x easier.

Post up some pics of that truck! Im a sucker for a cepek lifted gm400!
Also, if you want to lift the rear as well, you can look into a Add a leaf, or removing the big block out back and going with a full 6" spring in the rear. My cepek came with the 5.5" block in the rear which I might replace with 6" springs one day but I like my front 1.5" higher than the rear. Let us know what you do and post up pics

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can crank some id say if there not cranked at all you could get 2 more inches outta it mabye. You'll just have to crank some check your angles a so on tell you get it were you want it. Then just go get an alignment if you still wanna go bigger get a bodylift.

Reaction score
southern pride im the one that sent you picks of the stabilizer. i think i sent you pictures of the truck too but ill try to post some on here anyways. with the bars cranked 1.5" what is the biggest size tire i could put on and what gear ratio would i need to run them. my gears now are the stock 3.73

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me get you some pics! Keep in mind in these pictures I'm running the same 17x8 american eagle alloy wheels...So they are pretty narrow. Also I'm running 4.56 gears

Here is my current setup with 37x13.50x17 Toyo M/T DC lift cranked about 1.5" my fenders are @ 47" up front. Angles are great, ride is perfection. Keep in mind these Toyo's measure out to be a TRUE 37". I like 4.56's with these 37's better. I lost a little take off speed but gained top end speed and lower RPMs on the highway. Before this on 35's above 60 mph it sort of ran out of gear and would only top out at 80 or 90 @ a higher RPM...
You must be registered for see images attach

Here I am back on my BFG 35x12.50x17's...Same lift specs DC + 1.5" crank TOWERING these BFG's...Kind of miss the 35's less weight, quicker truck 0-45, more mpg's. Keepin mind these BFG 35's measure actually a bit small AND less narrow than 35x12.50. 4.56 gears was faster than stock up to 50 mph but like I said lost top end speed above 60 but very quick up to 60 mph.
You must be registered for see images attach

If you have any questions, lemme know!! Based off my pics the biggest you could go is probably a true 38" tire, but that will probably depend if you have a narrow wheel like mine or a wide wheel with more offset you might not be able to.

Here's a quick gearing chart that I've always seen

Now this chart is considering you're running tires that truely measure 33 35 37 and or 38". Like my bfg 35's actually measure 34.4 or something and weren't actually 12.5" wide at all.
33's = 4.10
35's = 4.56
37's = 4.88 (although I love my 37 and 4.56 combo)
38's = 4.88
40's + = 5.13 and up

Reaction score
what is the biggest tire the front end ifs could put up with without excessive work. this is going to become my secondary vehicle but will still be driven a few times a week