Adding Fogs Without Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THOMASO1371

Reaction score
I’ve been searching the forum and YouTube and haven’t really seen this so wanted some input.

I have a 90 K1500 and adding fog lights. I’m wanting to skip the fog light switch since the only harness I’ve seen is from RZ for $300. I have the Heavy Duty Headlight Harness mod done and I’ve seen someone use a splitter from the low beam to fog. I saw some comment on a Tacoma forum saying not to do this technique because stock wiring can’t handle the power draw, but are the concerns the same with the heavy dirty harness?

The other option I have found is to use a fog light harness from Amazon to a switch. My question there is if I want to remove that switch and tie into the headlight switch in the dash, which wires would go where? There’s a positive, negative, and a white and not sure what that does.

Limited electrical knowledge, I just know enough to ask questions before I start messing with it.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been searching the forum and YouTube and haven’t really seen this so wanted some input.

I have a 90 K1500 and adding fog lights. I’m wanting to skip the fog light switch since the only harness I’ve seen is from RZ for $300. I have the Heavy Duty Headlight Harness mod done and I’ve seen someone use a splitter from the low beam to fog. I saw some comment on a Tacoma forum saying not to do this technique because stock wiring can’t handle the power draw, but are the concerns the same with the heavy dirty harness?

The other option I have found is to use a fog light harness from Amazon to a switch. My question there is if I want to remove that switch and tie into the headlight switch in the dash, which wires would go where? There’s a positive, negative, and a white and not sure what that does.

Limited electrical knowledge, I just know enough to ask questions before I start messing with it.
If you tap into the low beam power wire and use a relay there should be no issues.
Why wouldn't you want to have a switch of some sort in the cab?
That way you can use them with your high beams as well for more light.

THOMASO1371

Reaction score
I also did the 4-High mod as well so I can’t see a reason for a switch. My thought process was using the splitter into the lows then anytime I turned on headlight they would be on, and with the 4-High they would stay on with high beams.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also did the 4-High mod as well so I can’t see a reason for a switch. My thought process was using the splitter into the lows then anytime I turned on headlight they would be on, and with the 4-High they would stay on with high beams.
My bad....lol
Ya I completely missed the 4-high mod part, I just woke up!!! That makes sense now.
If you have a relay it won't "tax" the headlight switch if that's a fear you have.