1997 K1500 Z71 stock Z height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zelda

Reaction score
All,

I sure could use a leg up on this one.
I am in the process of replacing many of the components on the front end of my 1997 K1500 Z71 (model # K10753, 3 door, 141" wheelbase) and need to get the ride height right. Went to a Chevy dealer today and spoke w/ parts counter guy and he said he could not pull up data. Went to service writer and they told me that they did not have access to that information, they said their techs do but they don't. I don't have a service manual and the information I find on the web is very spotty. There is enough info on the web to point me in the right direction as to how to measure the Z height and I did mark the adjusting bolts before I removed the torsion bars.

The truck is not lifted and the tires are same as factory, P265 / 75 R16. I simply need the STOCK, recommended Z height within the range of the factory specs for this year model truck.

I am replacing all ball joints, the control arm bushings upper and lower, the sway bar bushings and end links, complete tie rod assemblies, the CV axles, the wheel bearing hubs, the pitman arm, the idler bracket & arm, and the shocks. For me, that is a tidy sum invested and I can't afford to do this incorrectly.

Does anybody here have access to a Chevy service manual or All Data information for my year model truck that they'd be willing to share w/ me that pertains to stock Z height range for this truck?

W/out access to the service manual, this forum has been my go-to source for gathering information and has helped me immeasurably and I am much indebted to y'all so, thank you in advance!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
'97 GM factory service manuals are available for download on page 10 of this thread, free searchable PDFs.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you count the threads or measure the bolt before taking it out? The torsion preload bolt. I'm doing the same thing to my truck, and putting in a lift as well. Doesn't really matter if all the peices are new or not, the preload is the only thing that is gonna effect ride/height...

Zelda

Reaction score
Did you count the threads or measure the bolt before taking it out? The torsion preload bolt. I'm doing the same thing to my truck, and putting in a lift as well. Doesn't really matter if all the peices are new or not, the preload is the only thing that is gonna effect ride/height...
Yes I did. I used some white nail polish to mark the bolt as it was before attempting any removal of torsion bars. I did not buy this truck new and don't know if the torsion bars have been adjusted before so that is why I'm needing the recommended Z height as a reference. As to the effect on the new parts, I just want to make sure my control arm geometry (?) is correct in relation to everything else so I can get the most life out of this refurb. Thanks!

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too much BS for me, adjust to where you like the height and ride. Prolly where it was when you tore it down....