Aaaand I bought another one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I took the top of the carb off today at work, and the float appears to be fine. It looked surprisingly clean in there. I also threw on a new inline fuel filter because it was $7, but that didn't help anything. I did realize that the way the carb was set up, there was a vacuum actuator that was causing the flaps for the secondaries not to open at all. I unhooked the vacuum line and blocked it off, and when I revved it up now they would open and it seemed to help sitting still, but that didn't change anything on how it ran under load. There seems to be a port on the very back side for another vacuum actuator for the choke, and it's not hooked up to anything. Aside from that, there is no cable for the choke, and the flab barely moves back and forth anyways. On my way home, it actually got worse, I have to go up a hill, and I struggled to keep it at 30mph till I got to the top. I think i'm just going to suck it up and buy a carb.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Have you checked fuel pressure? I've had stock pumps be unable to keep up before.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Thats pretty much the only thing left other than the carb, it has a mechanical pump, and i'd suspect a carb thats barely been used for 6 years over that, but I guess anything is possible. I'll have to see if I have a pressure gauge I can try out and see what it pushes

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
It also stalls when cold because the choke doesn't work right, and it even stalls on my way out of the driveway and sometimes slowing down within the first minute of driving, it would be nice to also have a functioning choke too.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
It also stalls when cold because the choke doesn't work right, and it even stalls on my way out of the driveway and sometimes slowing down within the first minute of driving, it would be nice to also have a functioning choke too.

no choke was reason enough for me to stick my Edelbrock on a shelf and get a Quickfuel 600 for my C10, I really like it.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Does it run like **** once it's warm though. The choke should remain closed until the engine is warm which explains the rough cold running but it doesn't explain why it runs like **** after it's warmed up. Once the choke is open it should not close until the carb gets cool or in a manual setup the driver closes the choke via the cable.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
It runs about the same whether its warm or cold, but it stalls when cold. I just went out and was checking out the fuel lines to make sure there aren't any kinks, and found this little bugger tucked into the frame rail.
You must be registered for see images attach
The one I changed earlier today was located right on the front of the engine after the pump. I think it did help a little, but still didn't solve the issue by any means. I made some runs down the road, each time tweaking the timing and the fuel mixture a little, and I did get it a little better, but still have an issue. Once or twice it would let me make a good strong pull in 1st to about peak RPM but as soon as it shifted to 2nd it bogged right out. I'm sure its not timing related because I tried several positions, from spinning it so far counterclockwise it would ping, and clockwise to the point where it would barely run. Also tried adjusting the mixture screws to the point where it was puking out black smoke from being so rich, and to the point where they were almost all the way in, and still really didn't improve much. I don't have a gauge that can test the fuel pressure with laying around, so that might be my next step before getting a carb, but that will probably still happen regardless.