A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To my understanding, you have to tap the new pcm into your tach, check engine light, (<not sure on that one) and fuel pump relay. (<again not 100% sure on it either)
Shaun should chime in here shortly and point you in the right direction. He's done it, I haven't. lol

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Lol. I'm jus curious. I never looked into swapping a newer motor into a older truck. I like learning new stuff haha

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm swapping one in soon as I get tax money. You should look into it. Lots of people keep it under $1500 and if you find your motor cheap enuff, you could keep it under a grand. (If you go with a 4.8 or 5.3. The ls1 and bigger brothers fetch a pretty penny)
Good gas milage
more power
No more pita TBI motor
And then the all mighty WOW factor.
Only draw back to most are money and the intimidating fact of the wiring

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
I have had 4 obs z71s an moved up to my nbs z71 with a 5.3 an felt like I bought a brand new truck. Way more power than any of my previous trucks ever dreamed of having lol. I've been tossing the idea on what I want for a project so I'm searching high an low for something that I jus can't turn down lol.

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't count out the 4.8 neither, there only like 20 or so HP less then the 5.3. Also the rod ratio in the 4.8 is a little better for boost as well (no first hand experience, just hear say)

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the stock truck computer does nothing. the harness that came with the motor was sent out to clean up and remove all the extra wires and stuff i didnt need. also to add a plug for IAC and the TPS, since i was switching from a DBW throttle body which came with the 5.3, to a DBC throttle body from the junkyard. once i got the harness back you plug it in to the PCM, and into the corresponding sensors and plugs on the motor/tranny. then there is a Speedo, Tach, and SES wire to hook to the gauge cluster. one wire to the fuel pump. a cluster of ground wires. a power wire. and a switched power (key switch). and the TCC relay to the brake light switch. and that was it. i'm sure i'm forgetting something. but its pretty cut and dry. just super time consuming. i was planning on this swap taking me a weekend, or two at the most, since i had researched the crap out of it, and bought everything i thought i would need first (adapters, miscellaneous bits and pieces, etc). but it ended up taking me 4 or 5 weeks. sun up to sun down on weekends, and from like 5pm to 11pm monday through friday after work. i've also never pulled an engine in my life, let alone do a whole swap. so it might take someone with more experience less time.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Ok that's cool. Where did you send the harness? Are you gonna make a full build thread on this? Don't wanna ask a crap load of questions lol

craig98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had a local shop from where im from do my harness for my 96. but a bunch people have really good things to say about nelson performance. i've never used them so i cant vouch for that. just going off of what other people say.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Ok thanks for answering my questions everyone lol. I've done motor an trans swaps but never something newer into something older. Pretty confident I can do it. Jus wanna get my ducks in a row an get a game plan

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lt1swap.com will have all the diagrams you need.
Here and ls1truck.com will help with any snags you get caught up with.