A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Clean install. I love my 5.3 great motor

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks again everybody! I finally got the tach squared away. A 2 dollar part from radio shack and a couple minutes under the hood, and everythings running as it should. Here's a little video for you guys.
http://youtu.be/0raqaxJTy5U
hopefully the link works, just got it up about 20 minutes ago after fixing the tach. i'm not exactly sure how to post the link so the video just shows up, without having to jump over to youtube. anyway, here it is

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice! Now all you need is a blow dryer on that thing!
I have two questions for you.
1: do you know the pin numbers on the factory ecu that you taped into? (If you did it that way)
2: looks like DBC. What parts were involved on that? A longer throttle cable? Aftermarket or off the doner truck?
I have 90% of the information on the swap crammed in my head and book marked but those are the two parts of this swap I can't find.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and here's my attempt at a ride along video. I dont have a GoPro, so the videos really shaky. and there's a lot of other noise that was picked up by the mic, its really hard to just here the engine. I kept finding myself watching the screen on my phone, instead of watching the road. good grief
http://youtu.be/UKpAes-AVAg

Last edited:

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice! Now all you need is a blow dryer on that thing!
I have two questions for you.
1: do you know the pin numbers on the factory ecu that you taped into? (If you did it that way)
2: looks like DBC. What parts were involved on that? A longer throttle cable? Aftermarket or off the doner truck?
I have 90% of the information on the swap crammed in my head and book marked but those are the two parts of this swap I can't find.

which pin numbers on the trucks factory ecu? its not tapped into the old ecu at all. my trucks a 1990. from what i understand, the newer trucks (95 or 96 up) have to have the new PCM tied in with the trucks original system for it to work...Not sure totally. as far as everything else, i used the trucks original - oil pressure sensor with the appropriate adapter, the temp sensor with the appropriate adapter on the passenger side rear of the cylinder head, the 5.3's temp sensor was used in its original spot at the front of the driver side head for the PCM, the alternator wire was cut behind the original connector, and i put a hoop connector on and attached it to the original motors distributor switched ignition line, and then hooked that to the new fuse block that came with the modified harness. the ac wire and connector was left along, since i was using my old compressor. all the other wires from the old motor that werent used, were cut out. for the fuel pump i tapped into the gray wire that comes from the driver side of the fire wall and heads towards the rear with the tail light wires and such. TCC was tapped into the white wire above the brake pedal.

the motor was originally drive by wire, but i didnt want to mess with any of that. so i sold the pedal, TAC unit, and the DBW throttle body, and got a DBC throttle body from the junkyard. i put a new IAC and TPS sensor on it for safe measure. on the same trip i snagged a throttle cable from a 98 suburban. i also snagged the driver side battery tray/washer bottle and PCM mount from the same truck.

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think your tach is broke....... lmao jk. Definitely need a different tach to see what that baby wraps out at
So how does the power difference feel.
Thanks man. Yea its 96+ I believe. I have a 95. and that info just summed up all my questions about this swap. now I just need to keep reading it till its burnt into my brain lol

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Awesome swap! i wish my engine bay was that clean :( Looks sick man!