A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got my 03 5.3/4L60E into my 1990 RCSB finished! Here's a couple pictures with a little info. I'll post parts and little snags and solutions i ran into over the next couple of days.
The new motor
You must be registered for see images attach

painted a few things, coil brackets, throttle body, throttle cable bracket, valve covers, block, accessory brackets, and exhaust manifolds/heat shields. also i used the holley R12 A/C bracket to use my old compressor with the new motor.

the old

on its way to its new home. got 800 bucks for the old motor and tranny. not too shabby.

bad pic, but here's what the engine bay looked without the old motor. got all the wires labelled up. i also painted the engine bay, since it was still blue from before the paint was done.

new motor in its new home. you can kinda see the paint in the engine bay. i really didnt take enough pictures, because i didnt want to touch my phone with the grease and stuff all over my hands.

intake mounted, and new belt. throughout these pictures, you can kinda see the wiring being worked out. i dont have any specific pictures of the wires, but you kinda get an idea of the wires getting worked out.

mostly back together. still havent mounted the pcm or fuse box / fuel pump & TCC relays in this picture.

and pretty much done.

pic with the new fiberglass lid i picked up. drove 4 hours to get it. Because apparently, all the companys making them discontinued the molds? Its in perfect shape, and i got it for $200. So the gas money spent was worth it. Not to mention i like taking road trips in the truck.

the swap was relatively easy. especially since i had a different car to be able to make 10 trips a day to the autopart store. just extremely time consuming. I started this project thinking it could be done in a weekend....but it ended up taking me a little over a month, working on it after work, and 6am to 11pm on weekends. i'll post soon the parts list soon, to help any one else doing this swap in the same truck, since i feel like a lot of the info on here is year specific to the truck and motor that person is doing. some adapters and other things other people posted in their parts lists. wouldnt work on mine. i'll try to get a video up too.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i also forgot to add the i wanted to thank Ryan Van Vels at LS solutions for tuning my PCM, and Ken Wolkens at Standalone Harness Solutions for modifying the 5.3's OE harness for my project, and answering random questions i had. Really took the guess work out of that end of this swap. Really solid guys, with professional results. I also wanted to thank everybody for responding to my 5 million questions regarding the swap on this forum, even though i know a lot of the questions i had, have been asked countless times before. Thanks for your help. and to any one going through this swap, feel free to ask questions and i'll try to help with what i can.

Last edited:

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks nice man. Is the upper radiator hose supposed to be routed up over the shroud like that? It looks kind of like it is but also looks kind of out of place. Either way sick truck!

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks nice man. Is the upper radiator hose supposed to be routed up over the shroud like that? It looks kind of like it is but also looks kind of out of place. Either way sick truck!
thats the hose from the new motor/truck. it happened to fit in like that. i drilled holes in the shroud where the little ribbed nipples on the retainer rings landed. i'm not exactly sure how its routed in the new trucks, but it fit that way. i didnt have to force it or anything, thats the way its shaped.

And thanks everybody! its still weird driving the old thing now with power in it. night and day difference. I'm hoping to pick up another truck soon and try the L92 in it. THAT would be SICK!