99 Suburban LT K1500 - Slow build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Alright guys - new 350, or go with a built 383? I'm thinking about having a local company provide a new engine. I'm wondering if its worth upgrading to a 383 - they advertise 365 hp, 440 ft. lbs of torque with a vortec intake/cpfi. Cost difference is about $1500. I'd go with a 5.3 swap, but I am for utilizing the money already spent on the truck. I'm leaning towards just a good built 350.

The dealio is; I'm either going to get this thing running good, or I'm gonna sell it. So I'm either getting both a tranny and an engine, or it's gone. Tried to start it today, and it cranks, but won't start. Checked fuel pressure, oil pressure, voltage, starter... Not throwing any codes. I know its old, and I love the damn thing... but I need a damn running vehicle. Selling it just sounds horrible, I've got nearly 6 grand into it, and it's MINE. Trying to get into another vehicle with what I want already done just doesn't seem feasible, as I don't think I'll get out of my vehicle what I've put into it.

I've got window motors/actuators that need to be replaced, the blower motor is leaking water into the cab like a sieve, the blower motor doesn't turn on except for high, I need to get A/C reinstalled, the electric locks aren't working, the exterior door handles are falling apart... the list is long.

Help me out here brothers - what should I do? New/payments aren't an option (never again).

I'd replace the original 5.7 with a nice GM 383 (General motors 383, NOT an aftermarket builder.) That way you'll have a nice coast to coast warranty. A vehicle as heavy as yours is will really suffer from the higher peak torque of the LS.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'd replace the original 5.7 with a nice GM 383 (General motors 383, NOT an aftermarket builder.) That way you'll have a nice coast to coast warranty. A vehicle as heavy as yours is will really suffer from the higher peak torque of the LS.

Sounds nice in theory, but I can't afford $6500+ just for the motor. $5300 and change for a GM 383, plus it has to be installed by a certified shop, or the dealership, for the warranty to apply. At that cost, I WOULD go with a different vehicle. I need to be under $5000 for both motor and tranny, installed by me.

And yeah, LS is nearly a non-existent option.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I would build a mild 350. Cam, ported and polished heads, headers, appropriate exhaust and a dyno tune. If you build a 383 you may as well get 90s Honda 4 banger because it's gonna get 6-7 mpg pushing those 35s. It could also roast those 35s like they were pizza cutters, but you said you need something to DRIVE not shred expensive tires.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Actually, you already have headers don't you? So that takes care of that. Bigger head pipes would help though.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Actually, you already have headers don't you? So that takes care of that. Bigger head pipes would help though.

I got all the breathing components in place: Headers w/ 3" collector into 2.5" headpipes (y pipe), to 3" SI/SO exhaust, with an S&B Intake. Fortunately, this is not a daily driver - Its the weekend "I want to drive my truck" today, and the off-roading/camping rig, so MPG isn't to much of a concern (I think I'll get 10~ if I went 383). I just want to enjoy, and be able, to drive it.

If I go with the 350, I'll have them work the heads to allow for more lift, and 1.6 rockers - and an aggressive cam...

We'll see - gotta price everything out, etc. Not sure at this point what my course of action will be.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
My wife is on board spending $6500 on the truck for motor/tranny and other fixes OR allowing me to find a diesel truck instead. She's okay with either option... She said if I do sell my truck, it HAS to be a diesel, because I've always wanted one.

Argh. Love my wife, but damn that makes the decision harder.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Easy decision. Just do a cummins swap! Same price I bet

Sent from my 5.7 Vortec powered iPhone 5S using Tapatalk.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Easy decision. Just do a cummins swap! Same price I bet

Sent from my 5.7 Vortec powered iPhone 5S using Tapatalk.
I have an old 12v mechanical Cummins, but it would take to much effort to get working in my vehicle, gauges etc. And would cost the lot for a proper rebuild. And then a tranny to support the power.... Yeah, dont have that kind of money.