99+ LS1 PCM swap into OBS GMT400 trucks/SUV's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guy brand new to the site. i have been reading alot of things on here for the last week. I am really interested in the 411 swap for my truck. i have yet to come across anyone doing it with a 5 speed though. i have a 97 silvy vortec nv4500 trans and quite a few mods but no tuning yet :/ i would like to know what i need to do to get the 411 in my truck with my trans. has anyone done this yet? i will attempt it if i can figure it out and id love to take pics and make posts for doing it with the manual if possible. Everything i have read so far on the entire site has been great! Im looking forward to being a involved member! thanks in advance!

I've done the 411 on my truck and I run a manual trans. its not a NV4500, but it won't be very different for you. mine is a T56. its much easier to do the swap on a manual trans IMO, I've done both since my truck started out as an automatic then I swapped to a manual. there are no trans wires that you need to splice in like with an auto, basically everything on your trans that goes to the PCM should already be wired up there (for me its the VSS, reverse lockout, and CAGS, but I disabled CAGS so I don't even have that wired in) . thats it. you'll need a manual transmission tune, but thats not too hard depending on what tuning program you use.

if you have 4wd, you may have some additional stuff going on, but I don't think it would be much, if anything different than that.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ahh ok thats what i was hoping to hear. i plan to use efilive and yes it is a 4x4. so all i need is the updated wiring diagram for the 97 4x4 emailed to me and i should be set to move forward on this right?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ahh ok thats what i was hoping to hear. i plan to use efilive and yes it is a 4x4. so all i need is the updated wiring diagram for the 97 4x4 emailed to me and i should be set to move forward on this right?

pretty much, its all in 1 wiring file, so just ignore the 60e and 80e wiring. the VSS wiring should be the same for the auto and manual. you'll need to check out if you have a reverse lockout or not on the NV (IIRC thats the only other thing on mine that is wired from the trans to the PCM). I dont know what (if anything) you'd need to do in the tune for the 4wd. I know some folks a while ago were having issues with 4 low on the 80e and it was a tuning issue, but with a real transmission, I don't think you'll have that issue. I don't even think the PCM will see anything from the transfercase at all (other than the VSS). if you need help with the tune I can probably help out, but basically it'll be a 2002 express van tune, with the trans segment from a manual vehicle swapped in. I used a M6 camaro, really any manual trans vehicle should work.

PM the guy in this thread named Lextech with your email and truck specifics and he can send you the up to date wiring file.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I have seen this swap mentioned over at FSC and PacificP before and thought it was interesting. My current plans are to complete what is listed in my signature and have it tuned by Black Bear since my in-laws live near there. Now that I am looking into this I am wondering how hard it is to pick up the tunning process myself. Is there a good book or how-to's somewhere. Would be cool to do it as a hobby. Could I get the efi-live setup and download tunes online, mod them a little, then install it on my truck. That would be so sweet!

This is my virgin post on this forum. I have a lot of catching up to do.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes i got the wiring file from jeff this morning or last night either way. now as far as tuning i would like efi live but if i can wait on it and have somone tune it i would pay some cash. i do have a tech2 that i can use when ever i need it also if it matters. if your willing to tune a 411 for me i will buy one and ship it to you just name your price and let me know. that would be great. as far as efi live i dont have a computer i can really use unless efi live works totally different than i picture it working. hopfully ill have figured it all out and can do it soon as im pretty sure no one around my area has ever even heard of the 411 swap that i have talked to.

bai78

Surviving...
Reaction score
I have seen this swap mentioned over at FSC and PacificP before and thought it was interesting. My current plans are to complete what is listed in my signature and have it tuned by Black Bear since my in-laws live near there. Now that I am looking into this I am wondering how hard it is to pick up the tunning process myself. Is there a good book or how-to's somewhere. Would be cool to do it as a hobby. Could I get the efi-live setup and download tunes online, mod them a little, then install it on my truck. That would be so sweet!...

Welcome over man! Hit up the EFI Live website and you can download the software along with numerous PDF tutorials. It is a lot of reading but well worth it to become familiar with how tuning affects the performance.

yes i got the wiring file from jeff this morning or last night either way. now as far as tuning i would like efi live but if i can wait on it and have somone tune it i would pay some cash. i do have a tech2 that i can use when ever i need it also if it matters....

That tech2 will be great for the CASE relearn when you install the new ECM.

Last edited:

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EFILive can do the case relearn....if you go that direction.
The EFILive forum is just like a 'how to' of tuning. There are many knowledgable people on there who can answer 'most' questions and help with learning to tune.
Just be aware...most people like you to 'try' for yourself....they WON'T write a tune for you....they WILL help you write it yourself.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen this swap mentioned over at FSC and PacificP before and thought it was interesting. My current plans are to complete what is listed in my signature and have it tuned by Black Bear since my in-laws live near there. Now that I am looking into this I am wondering how hard it is to pick up the tunning process myself. Is there a good book or how-to's somewhere. Would be cool to do it as a hobby. Could I get the efi-live setup and download tunes online, mod them a little, then install it on my truck. That would be so sweet!

This is my virgin post on this forum. I have a lot of catching up to do.

tuning yourself isn't too hard if you're willing to put in some time to understand it. you can download the EFILive software for free and cruize around in it, you can also download free stock and modified tunes over at www.holdencrazy.com to look at what and how people change things. the 411 and efilive is the best mod I've done.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats a really good idea. I point people to the megathread all the time, but I'm sure the massiveness of it, and sorting though the crap just discourages alot of people trying to learn.

Dude I refuse to read that thing. Don't think I've made it past page 15.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Will the stock throttle body work with a marine intake plane?