99+ LS1 PCM swap into OBS GMT400 trucks/SUV's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may do a 'how to' on this....but for the moment suffice it to say that this swap is DEAD EASY and is by far the best $ for $ mod you can do for our trucks.
This can be done for less than $100 plus tuning (free if you do it yourself). It allows you to use ANY available tuning package as well as having your vehicle tuned by anyone other than just the dealer or a TC/JET owner.

From this:

You must be registered for see images attach

To this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should do the writeup. You should also slap a 6.0 in there. I assume you have to use a pre DBW computer?

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to drop a 6.0 in it. I'm currently sourcing parts to stroke my original motor (sitting in the shed after dropping a rod bearing).
You can use any of the 99-08 512Mb LS style PCM's. Most common is that with the service tag 12200411.
You just need a base tune from a vehicle with the cable TB. The 2001-2002 Express and Savanah vans used the L31 with this PCM so that's the base tune to use.
From there....the world is your oyster. Lol!

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you also switched over to an 8 injector system?

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes...I did...but it's not necessary. I went with the Mercruiser Marine intake so I could run 'normal' injetors so as to be able to dump the boost-a-pump and Whipple electronics and install higher flowing injectors (LS1 44lb). Then I just tuned the PCM to suit.
BUT...the 0411 swap on the stock motor is worth the effort alone.
Most people report that the motor idles better, trans shifts better...and it just 'feels' better all round.
It's about 4hrs work.

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what are the benefits of this mod? and how does it compare to say a black bear tune?

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn! Just wrote a LONG post....and accidently hit the +REPLY to Thread button...which deleted it. Lol!

OK...The 99+ PCM
Pro's:
512mb processor (twice that of the 96-98 'black box' pcm).
Can control elec fans (ALOT cheaper than buying a fan controller and is then OEM fan setup).
Can be tuned by ANYONE
Can take advantage of Justin's 'cable data logging' tune...which i much better than a standard 'close enough' generic tune.
Running any kind of FI (turbo/SC)...gives you the opportunity to take advantage of EFILive's Custom Operating Systems for better control of fueling, timing, etc...

Con's:
Hard to believe this is such an easy swap! Lol!

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn! Just wrote a LONG post....and accidently hit the +REPLY to Thread button...which deleted it. Lol!

OK...The 99+ PCM
Pro's:
512mb processor (twice that of the 96-98 'black box' pcm).
Can control elec fans (ALOT cheaper than buying a fan controller and is then OEM fan setup).
Can be tuned by ANYONE
Can take advantage of Justin's 'cable data logging' tune...which i much better than a standard 'close enough' generic tune.
Running any kind of FI (turbo/SC)...gives you the opportunity to take advantage of EFILive's Custom Operating Systems for better control of fueling, timing, etc...

Con's:
Hard to believe this is such an easy swap! Lol!

So what motor do you have in yours, is it an LS?

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone is seriously interested in this, there's a looooong thread over at the PPE forum. Lextech IS the man for the 0411 swap!