99+ LS1 PCM swap into OBS GMT400 trucks/SUV's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G'day Howard, I just found this forum here, looks like a good one.

I've also done the 411 swap that howard is talking about. its by far the best thing I've done to my truck, though I'd question if it would really be worth it if you're not going to do your own tuning. but thats just my opinion, I'm WAY too OCD to just be satisfied with a mail order tune.
the PCM is by far better than the blackbox, but mainly from its tunability and support.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Now you guys have my attention, If you could drop a link to the ppe forum post your talking about so if I dont find it I'll have somewhere to go from.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now you guys have my attention, If you could drop a link to the ppe forum post your talking about so if I dont find it I'll have somewhere to go from.

this is the thread, its long, and there's a bit of off topic stuff in there, but still a good read and will answer most all your questions about doing the swap. you'll want to PM the member over on that forum named lextech with your year/model for the pinout spreadsheet.
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240

Both Howard and I use EFILive, but the 411 is compatable with most any GM tuning suite out there.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
V1 or V2? Im having a really hard time swallowing the price of a V2, the V1 looks like it will be just fine for me, but I may just go the route of a Black Bear tune since this one probably wont get very radical realistically looking at it. It would be nice however to be able to do my own, especially if I can get a hold of a non-upgraded V1 from somebody for a decent price. 90% dreaming 10% follow through due to being a broke college student... Still nice to know for possible future projects, especially with the people I hang around and what they have planned.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use V1, it will do most everything V2 does on the 411 PCM. the main differences are V2 supports the most recent PCM's (doesn't matter to me I only use it on my own 411 PCM), V2 also has wideband serial input ability, and several more analog inputs, but for me V1 works fine. they both use the same software for logging and tuning, so there's nothing different there. oh and V2 I believe doesn't require a laptop, IIRC. V2 is definantly cool, and I'd love to have one, but I'm like you, the benefits for my situation just didn't justify the extra cost. I got mine from Justin at blackbear when he was doing a group buy for the V1 a while ago at a really good price, you might contact him and see if he's got a simmilar deal going, or look around on the efilive forums for someone selling theirs, happens sometimes.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah...I'm using V1 Commercial....which is MORE than I need. Mine's an upgraded unit...but it was a 'too good to be true' price...so not worried about V2.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Anyone have $0.02 on a HP Tuner? The tuners seem to be personal preference from my limited research so far. EFI and HP seem to have a decent forum/community attached to them. Ive heard mixed thoughts on JET's DST. The Tuner Cat that comes with a Road Runner ECM sounds like it is much better than the Jet standalone version? Im lost on those two/that one...

Well the HP tuner credit system is way to complex / retarded so that leaves basically an EFIlive V1 for me.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed.
I have the V1, a Road Runner and have just ordered TC.
I also have the JET...and it's NOTHING compared with EFILive.
I prefer EFILive over HPT because we have a bit of freedom to ad extra funcions to the software as well as being able to do things such as our own segment swaps.
HPT guys have to wait for the 'main man' to do it for them (sometimes a month or so).
With TC and JET...you have to buy a seperate scanning/data logging program.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, if you get V1, get the commercial one, thats also what I use. HPT is a good program but I like EFILive better. there are little quirks about HPT that I don't personally like, for example, they tend to nickel and dime you for everything, whereas with efilive, you buy it and most everything is free after that, I also find EFILive to be a little more user friendly, but I have limited experience with HPT. but either EFILive or HPT will get the job done and do it well. I don't think you'd be disappointed in either one.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I was just talking to Justin and I just missed a sale, Well I probably wouldnt have been able to pick one up right away anyhow. He said he could try to get me a quote on the EFILive, a 411 PCM and the Van base tune, so Im going to see about how much that will cost, then look around for a used Marine intake to kind of gauge how much that will run me to do about the same time, or at least do the PCM then the intake.