'98 K2500 RCLB 454 NV4500 Daily/Hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
So dingle ball hone, new rings, roll in some fresh bearings, cam and send it?
Yes, for the short block at least. I am having the heads gone over as well and decided to swap the fuel injection for a carb setup. I will also be replacing some other things while it's out as preventative maintenance to try and make sure it will be as reliable as possible.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Got the heads sent out the other day to get redone, before dropping them off I looked a little closer at the cylinder with the weird intermittent compression issue and do see something off, the seals are in different positions inside the springs. I didn't go any further but I would imagine maybe the guide has problems, will find out once they're done. I had previously pulled that valve cover and didn't see anything abnormal. In the mean time I have just about everything I needed to order to put it back together. Most of the rest is small stuff I can find locally in stock when the time comes.
You must be registered for see images attach

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Umbrella seals tend to ride up and down on their own whim. That's why the 350s got upgraded to the positive seals.
Out of that entire head, the one on the end with the ziptie was the only one that was down, and looked a little crooked. All of the others were up, so just basing my assumption off of that.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Honed the cylinders today, they turned out great. Also cleaned up the pistons got all of the rings swapped. Not sure how common this is on these big blocks but almost every 1st and 2nd piston ring broke as I removed them, even when trying to be careful, not that it mattered. I would guess maybe since it was running poorly before and already had a couple others broken that they all were just brittle. After looking closer I decided to replace the rod bearings, they aren't grooved or anything but once I cleaned them up they show some discolored spots, so might as well do them while it's apart. Got the rest of the block mostly descaled and degreased as well. I cleaned out the oil pan and found a little filter screen, guessing maybe part of the oil cooler system?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Finally picked up the heads today, and discovered what the issue was. The valve on that cylinder with the issue was tuliped and very obviously mishapen compared to the others. The other was slightly bent and was replaced. Time for reassembly!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Finally took a day to get the long block back together and stabbed back in. I've been curious about the full length headers I bought because they said they fit K2500s up to 1994 only. They are Hooker Competition Headers part #2461HKR. They fit with very little issue, the driver's side slid in with the engine fully installed, I would assume the passenger side would as well but I laid it in before I dropped the engine in just in case. The only issue I see is one driver's side tube is a little too close to the steering shaft, and it's right at the plastic piece. I'll probably use the BFH method on that one spot and wrap the shaft with some sort of heat shield. Still plenty left to do!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That year range was likely specified because of EGR fitment, though would make more sense to split it at 95.

For the header clearance, snug it to the head and try to mark the top and bottom. Then smack a 1/2" drive extension into it. I did this to my Z06 and like the results. Could have clearanced it less than I did.

Since the dent follows the shaft, clearance is maximized.