'98 K2500 RCLB 454 NV4500 Daily/Hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Got a majority of the big stuff done today, I ended up having to return the intake manifold I ordered and the replacement should arrive Monday. Besides that, the biggest thing left is to figure out how I want to do the wiring and tidy it up since most won't be needed. The only pieces I will need are for the alt and coil. I plan on leaving the ECU because I figure the sensors and speedo should still work with the exception of the tach. That and just need to plumb the fuel bypass regulator and run a new line to the engine
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Got a majority of the big stuff done today, I ended up having to return the intake manifold I ordered and the replacement should arrive Monday. Besides that, the biggest thing left is to figure out how I want to do the wiring and tidy it up since most won't be needed. The only pieces I will need are for the alt and coil. I plan on leaving the ECU because I figure the sensors and speedo should still work with the exception of the tach. That and just need to plumb the fuel bypass regulator and run a new line to the engine
That checklist is a great idea!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did, and also reused the timing chain cover with sensor but I am not familiar enough with these ECUs to know if thats all it would need for a signal or not.

Neither am I, but it is part of the equation. Also, your crank pulley would have needed to be shimmed out the thickness of it if you'd left it off.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Almost there! Still waiting for a couple of fuel line fittings for the bypass regulator, (went with some AN adapters to keep everything fairly nice looking), but got the intake, carb, distributor, and belt setup all on place. I did forget to add a couple of small things to my list but most has been taken care of. (custom throttle bracket/cable, heater hoses), hopefully will be ready to fire in the next day or two!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Got nearly everything just about finished up except for those 2 fuel fittings which i'm still waiting for, but close enough to dump some gas down the vent tubes to hear it fire! It ran long enough to see that all of the factory gauges still work. It was actually very simple to get the original tach to work, I just had to attach the signal wire from the original coil plug to the tach output on the HEI distributor. Fittings should arrive tomorrow!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I've had the truck running for a little bit now, but am still working on some finishing touches. I got all of the fuel system plumbing done but have been fighting to get the pressure low enough for the carb. The bypass regulator I got was supposed to drop the pressure to as low as 3psi, however with koeo it would show about 11psi and when running it would max out my 15psi gauge. I determined the issue was the factory return line isn't large enough to handle the bypass. Instead of coming up with a whole new fuel system or dropping the tank and replacing the pump, I decided to install a ballast resistor on the pump power wire, and it worked like a charm! I also got my exhaust figured out, I luckily had a new 3" tailpipe from something that had all the curves I needed, but I ordered the wrong band clamps so they all leak a little. Correct ones are on the way at least. Besides all of those little leaks it sounds good out the back! I went with some Dynomax mufflers, its reasonably quiet in the cab but has a nice tone when getting on it. Still has some little bugs to work out like getting the timing/carb dialed in, but it's almost there!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've had the truck running for a little bit now, but am still working on some finishing touches. I got all of the fuel system plumbing done but have been fighting to get the pressure low enough for the carb. The bypass regulator I got was supposed to drop the pressure to as low as 3psi, however with koeo it would show about 11psi and when running it would max out my 15psi gauge. I determined the issue was the factory return line isn't large enough to handle the bypass. Instead of coming up with a whole new fuel system or dropping the tank and replacing the pump, I decided to install a ballast resistor on the pump power wire, and it worked like a charm! I also got my exhaust figured out, I luckily had a new 3" tailpipe from something that had all the curves I needed, but I ordered the wrong band clamps so they all leak a little. Correct ones are on the way at least. Besides all of those little leaks it sounds good out the back! I went with some Dynomax mufflers, its reasonably quiet in the cab but has a nice tone when getting on it. Still has some little bugs to work out like getting the timing/carb dialed in, but it's almost there!
Ballast resistor? So it's 50% Mopar now.... JK
I remember the 60s and 70s Chrysler products, you better keep a spare BR in the glovebox.