98 GMC K2500 454 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I say part out the 93, take the funds from that, and put it in this. Then once it's paid off, you can come to North Carolina so it can be parked in my driveway :Big Laugh:

But for real, how much do you think you'd get out of the 93 if you sold it, or parted it?

Edit; I see what you posted. Now I am sad.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I say part out the 93, take the funds from that, and put it in this. Then once it's paid off, you can come to North Carolina so it can be parked in my driveway :Big Laugh:

But for real, how much do you think you'd get out of the 93 if you sold it, or parted it?

Edit; I see what you posted. Now I am sad.

Me too bud, me too

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
Like I said, just do whatever is gonna hurt your wallet the least. It sounds like no matter what you do, you're gonna take a hit so might as well try to control how hard of a hit. The problem I see with fixing is the truck is that you'll be paying for the repair and then still make payments. I don't know, honestly. Just try to do damage control, make sure whatever you do is the lest damaging

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Like I said, just do whatever is gonna hurt your wallet the least. It sounds like no matter what you do, you're gonna take a hit so might as well try to control how hard of a hit. The problem I see with fixing is the truck is that you'll be paying for the repair and then still make payments. I don't know, honestly. Just try to do damage control, make sure whatever you do is the lest damaging

Right now my only option financially is to keep making the payments on it and see if someone local will buy it for the remaining balance. It's a big hit but it keeps me from going further in debt. Get rid of all my financed stuff and try this all over again with something else. Can't believe the head gaskets went at 160K. Unreal. I've never overheated this thing or even come close. And it ran like a champ before this happened. Daily drove it for almost a year. Now if it was a 240K plus motor eh I wouldn't be that mad about it. Happens.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
So after some more research and a cooling down period (for both me and the truck). It appears I may not be entirely up $hit creek (maybe). That white milky substance can appear if it's cold outside, and the vehicle has been sitting, or only gets ran for short periods. It's nothing more than moisture accumulation from going hot to cold.

Going to perform a leak down test if I get some time to determine if I actually do have blown head gaskets. There is a slight coolant smell under the hood. Might just be lower intake gaskets. There doesn't appear to be any coolant in the oil. The exhaust doesn't blow excessive amounts of white smoke once the engine is warm and it definitely doesn't smell like coolant.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
So after some more research and a cooling down period (for both me and the truck). It appears I may not be entirely up $hit creek (maybe). That white milky substance can appear if it's cold outside, and the vehicle has been sitting, or only gets ran for short periods. It's nothing more than moisture accumulation from going hot to cold.

Going to perform a leak down test if I get some time to determine if I actually do have blown head gaskets. There is a slight coolant smell under the hood. Might just be lower intake gaskets. There doesn't appear to be any coolant in the oil. The exhaust doesn't blow excessive amounts of white smoke once the engine is warm and it definitely doesn't smell like coolant.

Just got done reading through all the previous posts and was gonna suggest that could be from moisture/lack of being ran, see it daily on old folks that barely ever drive their cars, but you've already reached that conclusion! hopefully the leak down test shows no leaks!

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Just got done reading through all the previous posts and was gonna suggest that could be from moisture/lack of being ran, see it daily on old folks that barely ever drive their cars, but you've already reached that conclusion! hopefully the leak down test shows no leaks!

On one hand if it is head gaskets it's still getting sold.

On the other if it isn't, still back to square one on what the heck is actually wrong with it (which is why I decided to sell it in the first place.)

What to do what to do

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
On one hand if it is head gaskets it's still getting sold.

On the other if it isn't, still back to square one on what the heck is actually wrong with it (which is why I decided to sell it in the first place.)

What to do what to do

hate decisions like that, I don't blame ya for wanting it gone. I'm gonna take a lesson from this though and stay away from vortec 7.4's lol

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
She hasn't beaten me yet. At least in the figuring out what's wrong with it part. Coolant pressure test reveals it's definitely intake gaskets (or at least one of the issues is).

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Now to fix or sell. Hmmmm......

Also did a compression check and I'm getting 120-130.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as all the cylinders are above 100 and within ~10% of each other that's fine.

Get some carb cleaner or anything really to spray on those leaks and see if it causes the truck to stumble, if it does then that's probably the root of your problem.