98 GMC K2500 454 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
My buddy days its fuel related. Your fuel trim or pressure is wrong. He is 99% certain its fuel related if it bogs down and shuts off. Chances are you have plenty of fuel pressure while not under load, but have none when you put it in drive.

Your 0.02gpm fuel flow is most likely the issue. My gm buddy says to put a fuel filter in it and check your fuel pump. He says 0.02gpm isnt enough to run a skidoo, let alone a big block.

I wouldnt trust that number. I just added that data read on Torque to see if itd work. Torque cant read anything on the fuel side of things with these trucks so who knows where the app is getting that number from.

The pump and filter are both brand new anyway. Id like to believe its that simple but not likely. No way the new pump, filter, FPR, and injectors are all faulty lol.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does your truck still have the cats on it? If so are they good? A clogged cat can cause a lot of the symptoms you've got. I've also read that the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS) can go bad and cause similar issues.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Does your truck still have the cats on it? If so are they good? A clogged cat can cause a lot of the symptoms you've got. I've also read that the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS) can go bad and cause similar issues.

Still has the cats. However they are good. Cut open the exhaust and checked them, not plugged or melted. Nice clean looking honeycomb.

Forgot to mention that I did try cleaning the MAF and no luck. Far as I can tell it's working. And before someone asks no it isn't descreened.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, if you replaced the Dist. Cap, Coil, Plugs, Pump, Filter, Injectors, Intake Gaskets and all that then it pretty much narrows it down to something with the air intake. Either a Map sensor or MAS sensor. Those are the only two things I can really suspect if the cats and everything going out is good. I see in torque that C1 and C4 are missing, is that consistent when the truck is running or does it bounce around between cylinders?

E: Also mess around with the AC while the truck is running, if it almost dies when the compressor turns on and off I'd check the IAC.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Misfires bounce around. Dont stay consistent smd for some reason the misfire history will clear itself whenever the truck starts.

I could see MAF or MAP but I lack a way to test either.

I believe early on I replaced the IAC as well if not I know I at least cleaned it. But again no way to test it. I really don't want to play the parts game again.

It's to the point where it could be one of a humdred different things and the only real way to see which is to staet replacing parts. And that gets expensive in a hurry lol.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy days its fuel related. Your fuel trim or pressure is wrong. He is 99% certain its fuel related if it bogs down and shuts off. Chances are you have plenty of fuel pressure while not under load, but have none when you put it in drive.

Your 0.02gpm fuel flow is most likely the issue. My gm buddy says to put a fuel filter in it and check your fuel pump. He says 0.02gpm isnt enough to run a skidoo, let alone a big block.
.02gpm is 7.2lbm/hr... so about half of what the factory fuel injectors are rated for output.

LTFT's and STFT's would be nice to see. I wish I was near to hook up to the truck and troubleshoot it.

I'm still concerned as to why your idle speed is 825rpm and not in the 600s.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
.02gpm is 7.2lbm/hr... so about half of what the factory fuel injectors are rated for output.

LTFT's and STFT's would be nice to see. I wish I was near to hook up to the truck and troubleshoot it.

I'm still concerned as to why your idle speed is 825rpm and not in the 600s.
Itll drop down to 600 once it warms up. It was really cold that day I took those screen shots.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Idle:

You must be registered for see images