98 C1500 pitman and idler arm replacement??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Hi y'all, as many of you know I have a 98 C1500 ECSB with the 305, I have just ordered a new pitman and idler arm (without bracket). I'm looking for some tips on how to replace these, I've searched the internet and found some that says its easy but others say its a nightmare...any help would be greatly appreiated.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If memory serves me right, C1500's are easy. The gearbox is on the outside of the frame rail. Its the K1500's that are a major %$#!&*^$#@&%&^$&^&*^$ to change. You have to remove the entire gearbox.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
2wd's arent bad. Something like a 34 or 35 mm socket. You'll need a pitman arm puller and about 4 feet of leverage, twice. Once on the pitman arm puller and once installing the nut back on. DO NOT hammer on the pitman arm to get it either on and off, you will damage the steering box.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
tips:

Air tools are your best friend. Cheater bars are a sure way to frustration but will work with enough determination.

Sector shaft nut is very big and not found in a normal (or extended size) socket set. Make sure to have the right size before starting or you're done before you begin.

Get a good quality pitman arm puller. I mean GOOD quality. The force that will be on it before it pops will be immense. If a puller arm breaks.....well, lets hope it doesn't. Sometimes they come off easy. But my experience is they're hell bent to stay on there more than they are to come off.

Pickle fork will be very helpful.

Buy the idler arm with the pivot already installed. Moog problem solver comes to mind.

Doing it on your back in the driveway sucks big hairy moose nutz....if you have access to a lift, use it.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
If memory serves me right, C1500's are easy. The gearbox is on the outside of the frame rail. Its the K1500's that are a major %$#!&*^$#@&%&^$&^&*^$ to change. You have to remove the entire gearbox.

C1500's are in same spot as a K1500...