'98 Busurban Storm Chase Vehicle Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, since I need the truck back, I think I'm going to try pulling the upper intake manifold off tonight and go from there. I might just do pressure regulator for now, or maybe take it the rest of the way apart.

Would you spend $250 on new injectors at this point? Or could I just get away with cleaning them somehow?
Do you mean a new MPFI Spider? I would if that deep.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you mean a new MPFI Spider? I would if that deep.
Yeah, that's what it is. I was thinking that since I'm probably pulling the lower intake as well, I might as well just pick up an aftermarket intake, carburetor, and an HEI distributor instead of messing with this spider injection BS.

It would be about the same price since I already have a 600cfm Edelbrock that someone gave me laying around. Since the truck is already a manual transmission, I don't think I'd have to worry about much wiring.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So the 'Ol Burban didn't start this morning, in fact I killed a battery cranking it.
You must be registered for see images attach

It's always been pretty temperamental in the cold, but it still started when it was -10F out, and it was like 34F when failed me. It cranked and fired, but I could never get it to fully kick over, the fuel pump is an AC Delco one (probably still made in china) I put in it about 2 years ago (3/4 tank of gas) but it isn't kicking over.

I think I know what it is, the fuel pressure regulator finally failed (or something in the general vicinity). Anyways, I have a contingency plan in place just for this eventuality.
I'll make the truck EMP proof, with an intake, Carb, and an HEI distributor. The truck never ran right anyways with its hacked together exhaust and lack of cats.

What do you guys think I should do? Probably put a pressure gauge on the fuel line? Though, I bet the issue us is with the regulator inside the intake manifold. I know its possible to do the regulator without pulling the whole manifold, but this truck has 300k on it, and I have to top it off with coolant every now an then (Its quite obvious where its going). Thats why I'm pulling the whole damn thing apart, but wait, I don't have any tool anymore, they all burned up!!

Anyways, the Burb might be parked for the rest of the winter because of this, and I might buy myself another vehicle as the GMC is in dire need of a camshaft and lifters.
I wish you were closer, I would give you some of my duplicates on tools. I know between my truck box and the stuff I inherited from Dad that I have extras of some things. Be an expensive proposition to ship very much though.... that's why it sucks that this happened to you, and you're halfway across the country.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish you were closer, I would give you some of my duplicates on tools. I know between my truck box and the stuff I inherited from Dad that I have extras of some things. Be an expensive proposition to ship very much though.... that's why it sucks that this happened to you, and you're halfway across the country.
Thank you, your kindness means a lot. Things aren't as bad for me as they seem. For one, I'm still going paid! (For a limited period) And their insurance is going to compensate me for my tools.

I actually ran out and picked up a $200 Craftsman mechanic set earlier today just for the time being.

Since I only have class 4 days a week, I might be able to get the Suburban back into some sort of action by Monday (I might just pull the upper off, and throw in a regulator for now).

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thank you, your kindness means a lot. Things aren't as bad for me as they seem. For one, I'm still going paid! (For a limited period) And their insurance is going to compensate me for my tools.

I actually ran out and picked up a $200 Craftsman mechanic set earlier today just for the time being.

Since I only have class 4 days a week, I might be able to get the Suburban back into some sort of action by Monday (I might just pull the upper off, and throw in a regulator for now).
Those Craftsman sets that Lowe's has look pretty good for the money. They're imported, but it's better grade than the cheap stuff that the flea markets have. And before Memorial Day and Father's Day they'll be on sale....
I remember when Dad and I started going to the Pick Your Part yards in Houston, in the late 80s and into the 90s. You'd see the plastic trays from those $5-10 40 piece socket sets, all over the ground. We had them in our parts store too, because some people really don't want to spend $$ on tools they're not going to use much. We had the Proto/Challenger good stuff too; I still have some of it that goes to the swap meets.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I don't think the issue is with the injectors or the whole spider injection system anymore.

First off, it looks like it's had a new upper intake installed at some point (there was a Delphi part number on it).

Also, it wont fire despite having a consistent spark (Even with ether down the throttle body).

Just in case, though, I went and replaced the ignition coil/module just in case it just wasn't a good enough spark, but no change.

It sounds perfectly consistent cranking over, but I might do a compression check to make sure that it didn't jump time.

Despite it having good consistent spark, I'm also going to pull the distributer to make sure that something isn't off.

What do you guys think?

I'm pretty close to actually having it towed to a shop and having them diagnose and fix it.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As soon as I rule out the timing chain as the issue (I don't think so) I very likely will be buying all these parts (I might also pick up some headers/chrome valve covers while I'm at it).

With all the money I'd spend having it towed and diagnosed + all the new parts, it would be easier/cheaper just to do the Carb swap.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, so the truck is running the best it ever has since I've owned it.

I might toss that up to this distributor gear that's pretty worn out.

Unfortunately, I need a new air intake as accidentally ran over it.

In the mean time, I threw this goofy contraption together.

I just clamped an old carburetor air cleaner to the MAF sensor and then cut a piece of rubber tubing to connect the MAF directly to the throttle body.

Even though it's totally not proper, I like the old school look. Maybe I should drill a hole and mount the air temp sensor and complete the setup (I know it probably won't run right with the placement of the MAF).