'97 Z71 DD/Hunting Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worked on it some on Sunday and got everything torn off the top of the motor and got the intake manifold gasket replaced. Now need to get it all reassembled. Putting new distributor cap and rotor, plugs, wires, and serpentine belt on while I have it apart. Anxious to get it all back together!

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to update that I got the intake manifold job all done and it turned out great. Super happy with everything, no leaks and truck has more power and runs smoother now. While I was in there, I put in AC Delco Iridium plugs, Taylor wires, AC Delco distributor cap/rotor/PCV valve, new serpentine belt, and a new air filter. Another job to check off the list. Next up is to clean up the a/c condenser and put a new blower fan in.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Noticed last night that I didn't have any brake lights, checked all my grounds, fuses, and relays. It all seems to be fine. I suspect it is the brake light switch. Got one ordered, try to get it put in soon. Also need to address the ABS sensors, hopefully I can get some time this weekend to get those cleaned up.

Overall, the truck is very close to being mechanically sound. Hopefully that means I can start saving up for some new paint/clear coat.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the brake light switch replaced and all the brake lights are now operating as they are supposed to. Also, I changed out the blower motor and cleaned the evaporator. The evaporator had a ton of gunk in it and there was so much dog hair attached to it I was afraid I was going to pull out an entire dog. No more squealing with from the blower and it blows a lot harder and does not have that musty smell.

Noticed that when I put the truck into 4 Low it makes a loud clunk. Need to get to the bottom of that.

Overall the truck is driving great and I am very happy with it. Slowly getting the bugs worked out of it from sitting for 4 years and being 17 years old.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have just been driving the truck and very happy with it. Unfortunately, this week I noticed a puddle of coolant under the truck. Looks like it is coming out of the weep hole in the water pump. I will go ahead and change the thermostat and radiator hoses while I am in there.

Looks like it is going to be gorgeous this coming weekend so hopefully I can get the truck polished up and get a few updated pictures.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Water pump, radiator hoses and thermostat have all been changed. Also was able to take advantage of the great January weather here in Illinois and give the truck a bath.

Water pump removed

That hasn't seen the light of day in a while

New vs old

All shined up

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another gorgeous weekend in Southern Illinois so i had to take advantage and give the truck a bath. I also changed the oil, greased everything, and pressure washed it with the wheels off of it.

I bought some nbs wheels for it and bolted them up to see what they look like. I really like the look. They will be coming back off though because i am going to re-clear them.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 32

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got around to bed lining the bottom of the truck. I used Monstaliner and was really happy with the process. Prep was a pain but also the most important. The actual application of the Monstaliner was a breeze.