'97 Z71 DD/Hunting Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally was able to pick up the "new" truck on Sunday, a 1997 Chevy Z71. Has super low miles and has had 2 owners. The body of the truck has no rust on it at all and seems to have been taken care of. The interior looks like new and is going to clean up nice.

The fuel pump went out of the truck 4 years ago and the owner parked it. It has sat since then. With it sitting like that, the clear coat is peeling off the roof.

I got a new fuel pump put in it and put fuel in the truck and it started right up. Did notice it looks like there is a slight leak around the intake manifold, will go ahead and replace the intake manifold gasket.

Should be a fun build along the way, not positive what all i am going to do to it but will try to document it the best i can.

Attached are pictures of the truck where it sat for 4 years.

Enjoy!

You must be registered for see images attach

1988GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looks great but do your self a favor and look and clean under that bed mat every once in a while the hold water and rot out the floor

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I already did. The bed looks like brand new, hardly even a scratch on it. Pretty awesome!

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the truck got it's first bath in 4 years last night. Cleaned up real nice, had to hand wash it twice to get all the scum off of it. Also, I started taking off some of the badges. Took off the small silverado logo by the rear windows and took off the huge silverado badge on the tailgate.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Looks like a clean truck... red will definitely be a distinct color for hunting.... lol

Logan

Reaction score
Super clean man! I'll have to keep a watch out for your build, I'm in the exact same spot as you. I just picked up a super clean inside and out, White '96 Z71 with 101k that has only had regular maintenence since it was bought new.... have fun with it!

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a clean truck... red will definitely be a distinct color for hunting.... lol

Haha yeah, I definitely won't lose it in the woods.

Super clean man! I'll have to keep a watch out for your build, I'm in the exact same spot as you. I just picked up a super clean inside and out, White '96 Z71 with 101k that has only had regular maintenence since it was bought new.... have fun with it!

Nice, sounds like a very similar situation! Enjoy yours!

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed when I washed my truck with the pressure water a little bit of water was getting inside the cab from the side windows (extended cab portion) and I assume it is just because the molding needs to be replaced. Anyone know where to get the molding for it?

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was able to spend some time on the truck this weekend. Got the new tires mounted up and put on, all new brakes put on, changed the brake fluid, changed the fuel filter, and painted the frame. A little at a time...