95-99 OEM Steering Wheel - Airbag Style, Leather Wrapped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
GM part number 16759293. Been looking all over but it seems that my wheel has been discontinued. The one in my red truck has started to deteriorate a little on the top where I most frequently grab it. Really don't want to go aftermarket, and want to retain the airbag. Anyone got a line on a new or mint condition one of these? Alternatively, sewlow, have you ever gotten around to rewrapping yours? If so, want to do another one? :)

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I just picked up a near perfect leather wheel out of a nice (really nice!) low mile Suburban! One little tiny flaw! Got the O/H console, too. Got to the check-out @ closing time. Long line-up. The girl asks me if it has an airbag. I played stupid & said "I dunno. It's out of some old truck." She says "I don't have time to check." $24.95! Would of been an additional $49.95 for the bag!
She sold me the O/H console as a 'Gauge Pod'. $9.95!
As a matter of fact, the wheel is going into my '97 today! Battery's been un-hooked since yesterday @ 6 p.m. Should be good to go after 18 hours! Still...I'm keeping my head outa the way until the bag has been removed! Lol!
It's a GMC wheel with the big center. The Chevy one in my truck also has the big center, so I'll use that one.

I've got the one I'm recovering near done. Not sure if I like it or not! Thinking...attempt #4! Or is it attempt #5? #6? Messed with that thing so much I've forgotten! It is definitely a learning experience!
I'll snap a pic of what I've done so far later today.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You lucky dog you! I haven't even checked the yards around here honestly, guess I should. I just have a gut feeling I won't be finding anything nearly that nice, though. Please do update with pics of your rewrap progress, I've been curious about how that's been going.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
df2x4. Haven't forgotten. Sort of. The wheel's hanging on my shop wall, but there's only about 2" between the wall & my '98. It's immobile. Can't get to it to get a few decent pix until I move the truck.
I need a bigger shop!!!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you looking for the wide 95-97 wheel or the small 98-02 wheel?

95-97, the wide one. Exactly like the picture that sewlow posted except I have the Chevy airbag cover.

df2x4. Haven't forgotten. Sort of. The wheel's hanging on my shop wall, but there's only about 2" between the wall & my '98. It's immobile. Can't get to it to get a few decent pix until I move the truck.
I need a bigger shop!!!

No problem, I know what you mean! I've been going through the same thing. Too much stuff, not enough garage.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
*Edit* Just noticed the dates between posts! ONLY took me 2 weeks to get back to this! ("Jeez, Al"! smh!!)

Not sure if I'm liking this a whole lot.
The cover is kinda funky in the corners because as I do this stitch, it pulls the cover around outa place.
That movement of the cover also pulls the stitching of where the colors meet away from the grooves in the wheel that the seams are supposed to sit in.
The probs in the corners are messing with the holes for the stitching to line up too.
I dunno. Seems to be one of those projects that's gonna fight me every inch (stitch!) of the way.
And I'm not so sure of the design either.
This has been a learning process from the get-go. This is attempt #4. It's the best so far! You shoulda seen the previous ones! lol!
I'm at the point of ripping this off & giving it one more try. One & only one more!!!

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just saw this, thanks for the update Al! That's an awesome attempt! I say keep at it, you're bound to get it how you want it one of these times.

If it ever makes it to the top of my list of things to worry about I'll go ask my local upholstery shop if they've ever done anything similar. They're always working on old hotrods and stuff so who knows, maybe they've tackled it before.

Still looking for another wheel in the meantime if anyone happens to run across one, though. New or mint condition, just like this one that was posted earlier except Chevy instead of GMC (although I guess it doesn't matter since I can reuse my airbag, can anyone clarify this?).

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
There are 2 sizes of wheel centers/airbags for these trucks. As long as you get a wheel with the same size center, GMC's & Chevy's will interchange.
That wheel pictured is now in my '97 with the truck's original Chevy center.