92 5.7 ran great, now won't start!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im not 100% but im pretty sure the ecm needs to be for the same motor and trans as your truck to plug and go. im not sure where your from but in michigan that ecm is worth about 30-40 bucks used.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im sure the dealership can reflash those too right? idk much about the non vortec stuff.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
It should work as long as the options are identical, aka, 5.7L with the same trans it SHOULD work, I cant make any guarantees(sp?) You might see if the towing company will let you borrow it, basically rent it to see if that will solve your problem and if so they can keep the money, but if not, see if theyll take it back. It never hurts to ask things like this, you'd be surprised at what you can do if you just ask questions like this. I hope you get your problem worked out.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Check for a full 12 volts to the ECM fuse. The symptoms of my failed ignition switch sound exactly like what you are describing. I was only getting 6 volts on the pink wire.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would advise against getting one from a towing company, only because how long has that been sitting there, high possibility of getting one with the same issue, plus motor/trans has to be the same. Since you not getting the injector's to fire now, you might still want to check the ignition switch voltage as MIHELA mentioned, before spending money. I would advise a new ecm (which has been stored in cooler climates away from heat). Plus a new one will have warranty!

trackfiend

Reaction score
Mihela, do you mean the pink wire connecting to the coil? If so it shows 12 volts to the coil. If that's not it let me know where I need to look. Once again thank you everyone for your help. This is the best response I've ever received on a forum before.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you still can't get it going you may want to drop in a 5.3 =)

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
If I were to go to the effort of that the 6.0 is a minimum..... Just $0.02...

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is an EST wire on the TBI trucks underneath the glove box on the passenger side. When you unplug it, it completely bypasses the computer so you can set the timing correctly. I would try and unplug it to see if she will crank. If it does then that might lead to a faulty computer. I'm no mechanic but have been through alot with my truck. Its free, easy and worth a shot. Mine is black and has a little vertical clip you lift and it unplugs immediately. Check it out. The truck may run like crap and give you the service engine light but it will atleast let you know about that computer.