92 5.7 ran great, now won't start!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trackfiend

Reaction score
Hello one and all. A while back I picked up this 92 GMC 1/2t ext. cab as a project. The truck had been parked for about two years due to a leaking trans but the $500 price tag I couldn't pass up since the truck was so clean. Anyway I put a new trans in the truck and a new battery in it along with fresh fluids before running it. The truck ran great, motor was tight and quiet and everything worked with the exception of the a/c getting cold and the C.C. not working. Drove the truck for a few days and it quit on me. Took it home and it acted like it was starving for fuel so I rebuilt the tbi, replaced the fuel filter and then pulled the fuel pump. Turned out the rubber hose attaching the pump to the hard line in the tank had a 3/4" split that kept bleeding off pressure after starting. So I went ahead and put a new pump, hose and pre-filter in and the truck ran awesome again. The latest problem has me pulling my hair out. Truck was running strong when it just died on me. Started checking everything and decided to pull the ignition module and it tested bad. Put in the new one and it still won't start, next I pulled the distributor and checked the pick up coil, it tested fine. Cap and rotor are in good shape, actually look like they are almost brand new. The ecm has thrown no codes so I am stumped. I also replaced the coil as well just to be sure. Any ideas or help will be sincerely appreciated as I am trying to make this into a D.D. for myself at the moment since money is tight.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well unless you have more money than you know what to do with i wouldnt replace anything unless you know its bad for sure. first reason being is if you put the part back together wrong for whatever reason it could just add to your troubles and make it even harder to fix, and its expensive. did you check all your fueses? does it have spark? fuel pressure? go from there. tell me what you find and ill do my best to walk you through what it might be. good luck to ya!

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
battery cables? what does it do when you try to start it? just crank and crank?

Reaction score
well unless you have more money than you know what to do with i wouldnt replace anything unless you know its bad for sure. first reason being is if you put the part back together wrong for whatever reason it could just add to your troubles and make it even harder to fix, and its expensive. did you check all your fueses? does it have spark? fuel pressure? go from there. tell me what you find and ill do my best to walk you through what it might be. good luck to ya!

xx2. Agree with 6chevy9's ideas for problems to check out first.

trackfiend

Reaction score
I've got fuel pressure, no spark though. Have checked all fuses, relays and checked power at coil and distributor. Everything checks good. Hit the key and she cranks over normally, not slow like possible battery or cable prob. I've got a Haynes manual and have checked everything suggested but can't find an answer. It's really frustrating because the truck was running awesome when it just quit on me. Has to be something electronic I am just not really familiar with these trucks.

trackfiend

Reaction score
Pulled the coil wire off of the cap and did the screwdriver method to check for spark and I didn't see anything. We used an ohmmeter to double check the coil to make sure it wasn't bad and it tested good. Was wondering if the ecm might be bad or something that's not telling the coil to fire?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use an ohm meter and check for continuity on the short harness that goes between the dist. and coil, if one of those wires are broken it won't run.