88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Last weekend this
You must be registered for see images attach

Became this.

3" 409 Stainless True Dual exhaust with stainless Magnaflow XL mufflers. Took a day to get it fit together, but it's in. It's loud. Much louder than I expected. It sounds like a musclecar... definitely a big block rumble. It is quieter in the cab though. I think my neighbors might not like it much, particularly at 5AM.

I've also gotten the data logging up and running using winALDL and am working on getting it tuned. As of now it's running rich at idle and lean at WOT. It also idles WAY too high but that should be fixed soon.

And yes, that is a tail under my bumper.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Not a ton of news surrounding the truck. Been mostly fine tuning things and working on the trailer project. I was having an odd intermittent idle issue, after a bunch of adjusting and checking, I ended up replacing the Idle Air Control Valve, and after the most recent datalog and chip it's really getting dialed in.

I FINALLY got airbag installed on the truck. I've had them (they were on here long ago and were on the 99 diesel as well) and just hadn't got around to building something that I could use with the truck. So i don't rip them up I made a removable "leg" so to speak that makes up the space between the axle due to the lift, and will allow them to be disconnected when i'm not towing the trailer.

Excuse the lack of paint, I haven't gotten around to spraying some on it yet.

I also finally got a new spare for the truck too, just a stock steel wheel and a worn out 315/75r16 bfg a/t

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Well, here is the latest on the truck's front.

Bought new hitch, it's a drawtite 16k forged 6" drop.

Fixed a bunch of small things that I've put off, and gave the truck a full wash, wax, vac and upholstery cleaning. First time since around November! Not bad for 24 years.

I then got the quads in the truck, trailer loaded and everything hooked together.

Truck ran great. It pulls, so much torque. I had no problem keeping speed everywhere.... At least for the first two hours. At some point it started hesitating, coughing and would give me no power.... So I pulled over and swapped back to the last chip. It ran fine a few more miles then again did was running poorly. Pulled off, multimetered a few sensors, checked connections etc, and hooked the laptop up. Ran fine a few miles, then again it started acting up. So, over on the side of the road again. After a bit of a cooldown period (for me) the data was looked at and it looked as if the oxygen sensor (which was new) was reading high voltage, above the norm which indicated it was likely failing, and making the truck think it was running rich, thus cutting fuel. being it was now about 11PM, I was in the middle of BFE and had 4+ hours of driving left, I unplugged the sensor and ran with the base fuel map and the SES light on. Truck ran without major issue after, unfortunately netting me about 5.5MPG...... But I made it. Next morning a stop at Napa and a new sensor was installed and it ran great after.

Here is the sand camp. All my toys in one spot!

Next to my buddy's 89 K5

Few shots out in the sand. This thing hauls out there. 454 sounds nice revved up around 5-6k.

Packed up, heading home. Running properly, I netted about 8.1MPG doing about 70MPH most of the way.

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awesome truck man, you gotta love that big block torque. my 70 with a 468 is so much fun to drive. Truck sounds and looks amazing. great job

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Haven't done much with the truck since the trip, except take another trip up to the mountains. If you aren't following my trailer build thread, it's where i'll post the pictures of camping. http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...8GMCtruck-is-at-it-again&highlight=1978+nomad

I am going to be looking at installing my 34-gallon Longbed tank in the near future. It's going to take a we bit of modification to get it to fit...