88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Quick question for ya...did you need to make any changes to the CUCV rear axle to bolt it to the truck?
The perches are different for sure
That is what I was wondering... I may have a lead on a matched pair of CUCV axles thus why I was asking.
Spring Perches and Shock Mounts are entirely different. The brake backing plates almost touch the springs. If I were to do it again, I would find a proper GMT400 axle and re-gear it.

Better get the trans and t case 2
Transfer case might be there but not sure on transmission
Why? CUCVs just had TH400s and NP208s. The TH400 is useless unless you want something without overdrive. The NP208 is ok, if its cheap, but it is only a 3 gear planetary and has a cable driven speedometer. I would suggest finding a 90-91 R/V series NP241 with the electric speedo and 6-gear planetary.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Spring Perches and Shock Mounts are entirely different. The brake backing plates almost touch the springs. If I were to do it again, I would find a proper GMT400 axle and re-gear it.

Why? CUCVs just had TH400s and NP208s. The TH400 is useless unless you want something without overdrive. The NP208 is ok, if its cheap, but it is only a 3 gear planetary and has a cable driven speedometer. I would suggest finding a 90-91 R/V series NP241 with the electric speedo and 6-gear planetary.
I was just making the point that the axle is driver side drop. Not at all saying the th400 is a desirable transmission. I am well aware of the downfalls of a m1008s as I have 1. Also of the np 241 passenger dr as I literally just bought 1 yesterday.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
"I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack"

Ok, well I've never left. But time for a bit of an update. As many of you know based on this tread, I have been formulating a plan to re-build the truck for a long time. Some of you may have caught this in my dually's build, but part of my plan was me selling my 02 GMC a month or so back. I hardly used it, and it was basically holding me back in the time/space/money department from concentrating on the 88. It's sale though prompted this parts rig: 98 K2500 Suburban.
You must be registered for see images attach

If you didn't read it in my dually thread, I picked this up "not running right" for $700. 285k on the clock and a fairly trashed interior, it was exactly what I wanted for parts - 97+, 454, 4L80E, 14FF (w/4.10s and a G80), Black body and grey interior. It's actually going to be parted into multiple vehicles (engine going to a friend, trans to another, driver's door and fender onto the dually) but many things will be used on the 88. The goal here is to swap the entire truck over to the 98 interior, wiring, MPFI and all engine accessories. I'm going to put a 0411 in it as well. Anyway, after tinkering with it some It ended up being a loose dist. cap, 3 unplugged plug wires and a bad MAF, so it actually runs fine.

Last night I also picked up a set of really, really good condition PY0 wheels for $100, i'm considering running them on the truck and keeping it 8-lug.

So, here I go as I start to actually rebuild the truck. Progress might be slower to start as I collect parts, and eventually tear the suburban up. Having a single 2-car garage is going to limit how long it can be apart, so this might happen in stages. But, here is the overall goal:

-Rebuild everything that needs it.....
-Convert engine to full vortec 454 injection, wiring, and accessories. Convert AC to Sanden and R134a. 0411 PCM swap.
-Convert interior to full 98 dash/doors/etc.
-Pull bed, cab, etc. New springs/shocks/engine mounts. Undercoat frame. Install 98 fuel tank and pump.
-Convert NV4500 top over to newer style.
-Decide between 6-lug or 8-lug. Swap rear axle with either 14SF or 14FF. Get rid of the CUCV axle because the 13" drums suck and the detroit locker does as well.
-Replace bedsides, both doors. Eventually repaint.

There you have it. I'm going to be bouncing ideas around and making a good game plan to accomplish this. The goal is to fix a bunch of issues and eventually make this into a more or less restored nice truck to drive around, and lightly offroad (where it wont get scratched to hell).

For record, as she ***** now, from one of my recent summer drive's with the truck.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Looking forward to it. I've missed seeing updates on this thing

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Good to see some movement in here. Hope all goes smoothly. Sounds like a pretty solid plan.

Sent from a flagged XT1254
Tyler/T-Unit

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but how will the 454 harness work with a mpfi setup? I thought the 454 had 8 seprate injectors and plug ins as opposed to the single plug in for mpfi? Are you going to buy a new engine or just find the vortec upper half?