88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the trailer and figured you had extra cash from the 02. So I was just waiting patiently. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$700! What a deal! Looks like a decent truck. Interior looks a bit rough though. Sad to see it get parted but sounds like you have it all mapped out already.

Are you going to switch the 88 over to the newer interior as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Surprised nobody was interested in the reason I had an unloaded trailer behind my truck......

You must be registered for see images attach

Yup. 1998 K2500 Suburban. Black with grey interior. 454/4L80E/14FF w/ 4.10s & G80. The guy thought the motor was on it's way out, and wasn't sure what was wrong. Ran (Terribly) and the inside was pretty dirty. 285k on the clock. $700 though. Loaded it up and drug it the 2.5 hours home.

After my assessment of it, I plug in the Flashscan V2 and see what I can see - running super rich on bank 2. MAF, plugs, wires, distributor are all basically brand new. So, toss the MAF from another truck on it, runs better but still weird. Decided to check ignition system since it all looked recently touched - distributor cap was loose, and 3 spark plugs weren't plugged in properly.... Now it runs just fine.... G80 works too!

That being said, I bought this for parts. Lots of parts. I could clean it up and flip it, but it's exactly the year/colors and config I've been looking for. Thus far it's going to be helping out 4-6 GMT400 vehicles. The short list of things it will go to

The entire front 1/3 of interior sans the fabrics (dash/door panels/wiring/etc), all engine wiring, intake, injection and accessory parts and basically all of the underhood except the long block are going to be used on my 88. The driver's door and passenger fender are going on my dually as they have better paint. The long block will be used for 83GMCK2500's 96 that has over 300k on it, the transmission will be rebuilt for another friend's truck that is getting due for a 4L80E.... Might also swap axles into another truck to upgrade from 3.73s to 4.10s....
Or you could fix up the Suburban and sell me the dually. Just kidding, I couldn't afford it. Great score.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
$700!? For my dream Burb!

I'm jealous as hell and a little heartbroken; but in it's passing, er; parting, it will prolong the good looks and mechanical lives of several other badass OBS 8-luggers

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Or you could fix up the Suburban and sell me the dually. Just kidding, I couldn't afford it. Great score.
Only problem is the suburban can't haul my camper :p

$700!? For my dream Burb!

I'm jealous as hell and a little heartbroken; but in it's passing, er; parting, it will prolong the good looks and mechanical lives of several other badass OBS 8-luggers
3/4ton suburbans are common enough around here, i see them all the time for less than 3k running in decent shape. This was particularly cheap compared to other's.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Please document the interior swap closely, I have plans to change my 94 to a 97+ interior but can't find many guides that explain the swap without missing bits and pieces like the HVAC unit, and the wiring for electric doors/mirrors and the gauge cluster.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Please document the interior swap closely, I have plans to change my 94 to a 97+ interior but can't find many guides that explain the swap without missing bits and pieces like the HVAC unit, and the wiring for electric doors/mirrors and the gauge cluster.
It'll be plenty well documented, although I'm not going to be leaving any of my original wiring in there. Since I have the donor the entire dash harness and underhood harness are going to be swapped over, along with everything inside the cab and engine bay....