88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Dang that sucks!
Is that cost for just the bell housing? Or did you order a whole new tranny?
That is just the trans and fluid, bellhousing was another $200 on top of that.

Oh really? Mind if I ask details?
Sorry to derail. lol
No worries. They are strips of 5050 RGB leds around firestik whip poles, wrapped in clear heat shrink. I wire in RF controllers at the base of the flag and use a 2 pin weatherpack style plug to disconnect them from the quad. I have a couple different style wraps I do, some work better than others it seems. The problem is the LEDs wrapped puts stress on the chips, and whacking them on branches and things ends up knocking them out from time to time.

Last edited:

chevyman98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Loaded up the quads and hit the coast.
You must be registered for see images attach

On the way back I started getting a squealing sound which got louder and turned into a grinding sound..... Driver's side caliper decided to stick..... quick rest area pull apart and run to town for a new caliper... This is why it pays to travel with friends.

Made it home. Another issue I haven't touched on yet, as I wasn't sure if it was an issue, as a sound I started hearing in neutral. Kinda a bearing/rattling sound. It started getting louder on my trip to reno, and on this trip it turned into sounds while pulling hills as well... and downshifting. And it started shaking while taking off in 1st...........

All the same symptoms it had a year ago. Almost exactly a year ago. June 10th to be exact, is when I pulled the transmission from the truck.

So out comes the NV4500 fluid draining kit

Pulled my PTO covers to check the magnet......

Yup, that is metal. There should not be that much metal in a year/10k miles. After discussing this with a couple shops they are thinking I have a warped bellhousing, causing the alignment issue to eat up the end of the mainshaft. Lucky me, I've found the most cursed NV4500 on the planet.

Hopefully a new bellhousing and this will solve my problem.
Think that may also contribute to right idle being miss aligned causing a vibration?
Beautiful work by the way I've followed both build threads and your work and craftsmanship is awesome keep it up.

cplanubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got done reading the thread love the truck. Sucks about the transmission.
When you put in the Cheyenne/WT lights and grill did you have to change the core support as well?

cplanubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK thanks I found a set of 88/89 headlight that I'm going to put in my 92

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Worked on the brakes late last week, ended up doing new Calipers, Rotors, and Ac Delco ceramic pads.

While I was waiting I got the wheels polished up. Photos don't do it as much justice, but the difference is pretty noticeable

My buddy also was due for brakes, so he brought his 98 over as well.

Got the transmission pulled. the input shaft was super loose, ended up popping it out and yup, exact same thing as the last go-round. Main shaft chewed up.

So, we checked the flywheel/crank for runout, there was none. my flywheel and clutch were perfect, there were still machining marks on them and no hot spots. Used a new oilite bronze pilot bushing, and just to make sure everything was good, a new bellhousing and brand new never ran NV4500.

So, it's together. New transmission is quiet and shifts tight and smooth. Lets hope this lasts...........

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Seems like youd have troubles putting it in if everything wasn't aligned properly but idk. Most ive ever done with a manual trans is replace clutches. Love the truck btw

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Seems like youd have troubles putting it in if everything wasn't aligned properly but idk. Most ive ever done with a manual trans is replace clutches. Love the truck btw
Thanks!

-------------------

Welp, when I was poking around with the front end I noticed my shocks are about shot. After a bit of reading what people with campers liked, the Rancho 9000 adjustables seemed to be a popular choice. They were on sale, have a $100 rebate and lifetime warranty.... so that is what I ordered.

The old ones were leaking, rears were super worn and soft, and one front wouldn't compress or rebound at all.

Also got the rear wheels polished. Gotta love some shined up aluminum.