88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Like this?

Sent from my 5.3 powered iPhone

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best question is where am I putting a tweeter, and better yet how am I going to do it so it looks factory..... Remember those 4x6 rear speakers..... Since the space was no longer useful, and the stock speakers are crap anyway, I "took them apart" and used the frame as a mount for the tweeters, in the rear pillar.

food for thought. 2nd gen (95-01ish) blazer, jimmy & bravada's have 4x6 speakers in the dash. models equipped w/ bose systems have removable tweeters mounted to angled 4x6 plates

K2500cruiser

Reaction score
Finished up my speaker upgrade last night. Not sure why it took this long to accomplish, but the GM issue speakers were shot. They never sounded good to begin with... So out they came and were swapped for a set of Infinity component speakers.

Front doors were easy... Now in the rear I went a different direction. The Crewcab trucks have the same door panels as a suburban, without speakers installed. They use the same rear pillar trim as a regular cab pickup, and have 4x6 speakers in the pillar. 4x6 speakers very rarely sound good, particularly compared to components. I started out investigating and low and behold, the rear doors are already wired for speakers, in the door itself. It ends at the center pillar plug. Still made my life WAY easier.

Did a little fitting and cut the holes for the rear door speakers

Best question is where am I putting a tweeter, and better yet how am I going to do it so it looks factory..... Remember those 4x6 rear speakers..... Since the space was no longer useful, and the stock speakers are crap anyway, I "took them apart" and used the frame as a mount for the tweeters, in the rear pillar.

I'm probably going to steal the subwoofer from the 88 and toss it in there, hopefully I will be able to get a headunit sometime in the near future.

May be a silly question but what we're the wire's you tapped into in the center pillar. The white or black plug. I noticed the wHite one had 6 wires going in 2 coming out so I tapped into the 2 Unused and I git nothing

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma

Like this?
That would only work if the switch was left on for the map lights, so, sorta. if you hook up the "door latch -" between the switch and map light with a diode, and run the other side of the switch to constant ground.

food for thought. 2nd gen (95-01ish) blazer, jimmy & bravada's have 4x6 speakers in the dash. models equipped w/ bose systems have removable tweeters mounted to angled 4x6 plates
Interesting..... Although in my experience 4" speakers are kinda bleh.

May be a silly question but what we're the wire's you tapped into in the center pillar. The white or black plug. I noticed the wHite one had 6 wires going in 2 coming out so I tapped into the 2 Unused and I git nothing
I couldn't tell ya at this point. My wiring ran from the rear door into the pillar and ended at a plug. The crewcab trucks didn't have speakers so there is no wire from there to the dash... But the wiring colors might be the same for left and right rear on the stereo.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Loaded up the quads and hit the coast.

On the way back I started getting a squealing sound which got louder and turned into a grinding sound..... Driver's side caliper decided to stick..... quick rest area pull apart and run to town for a new caliper... This is why it pays to travel with friends.

Made it home. Another issue I haven't touched on yet, as I wasn't sure if it was an issue, as a sound I started hearing in neutral. Kinda a bearing/rattling sound. It started getting louder on my trip to reno, and on this trip it turned into sounds while pulling hills as well... and downshifting. And it started shaking while taking off in 1st...........

All the same symptoms it had a year ago. Almost exactly a year ago. June 10th to be exact, is when I pulled the transmission from the truck.

So out comes the NV4500 fluid draining kit

Pulled my PTO covers to check the magnet......

Yup, that is metal. There should not be that much metal in a year/10k miles. After discussing this with a couple shops they are thinking I have a warped bellhousing, causing the alignment issue to eat up the end of the mainshaft. Lucky me, I've found the most cursed NV4500 on the planet.

Hopefully a new bellhousing and this will solve my problem.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Ah man, that sucks! Doesn't seem like a year ago you rebuilt it.

I saw an ad for those lit whips you guys have on your 4wheelers yesterday... I really want one for some reason even though I don't live anywhere around dunes anymore. lol

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Damn Dave!
Ah man, that sucks! Doesn't seem like a year ago you rebuilt it.
Yeahhhhhhhhhh. This is the worst luck I've had with a vehicle in a long while.

I saw an ad for those lit whips you guys have on your 4wheelers yesterday... I really want one for some reason even though I don't live anywhere around dunes anymore. lol
They are super cool, people charge an arm and a leg for them though. But if you hadn't guessed, I but my own for considerably less and with more options in them. :Lol: