6x9 speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes you can replace the tweeter. You just have to make sure you pick a 6.5" component set with tweeters that will fit in the factory location. That is what I did. Might take a little measuring and you'll likely have to build a bracket and/or trim the panel a little. Also yes you should be able to keep your stock head unit and run subs. You'll just need either an amp with speaker-level inputs to use instead of RCAs, or an adapter to provide you with RCA pre-outs.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my rear extended cab speakers. Will the 6.5s not fit under the trim, even if the structure under the trim is modified?

Also, is anyone running amplification on their minds and highs?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my rear extended cab speakers. Will the 6.5s not fit under the trim, even if the structure under the trim is modified?

Also, is anyone running amplification on their minds and highs?

6.5s? No. IIRC someone here managed to fit 5.25s in there, but they were mounted so they were visible over the plastic trim.

And yes to your other question, everything in my red truck is amped.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
5.25s aren't too different than 6.5s when it comes to sound. I can handle those.

What size amp are you running on yours?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm running 50Wx2 to my front 6.5 components and 25Wx2 to my 4x6s in the rear. Old 90's Denon amps, good stuff.

My subs are powered by a Lanzar OptiDrive 2500 at roughly 1000Wx1.

I'd do some searching before you decide to go 5.25s in the rear... The pictures I saw were not something I'd do to my own truck. To each their own, though.