5.7 vortec bolt ons.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay so dumb question, but what programmer does BBT use?

I as well have my hypertech maxxed.

BBP uses EFILive (I believe) to custom tune your vehicle's PCM, or a spare that you can buy from them (going this route will require a CASE relearn from a shop with access to a GM Tech-2 scan tool). They're leaps and bounds ahead of any handheld programmer you can buy. The Hypertech you have will be rendered useless once you get a real tune, you can't use them both.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
BBP uses EFILive (I believe) to custom tune your vehicle's PCM, or a spare that you can buy from them (going this route will require a CASE relearn from a shop with access to a GM Tech-2 scan tool). They're leaps and bounds ahead of any handheld programmer you can buy. The Hypertech you have will be rendered useless once you get a real tune, you can't use them both.

Here to confirm that Justin uses EFILive. You can go to a Dyno day that they hold, but Just prefers to actually do a data cable tune.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here to confirm that Justin uses EFILive. You can go to a Dyno day that they hold, but Just prefers to actually do a data cable tune.

I actually asked him about taking my truck to a live tuning day, but unfortunately he told me that they could only do live tuning or data cable tuning on GMT800s or newer. At least that's how I remember reading it, something to do with the black box vs other PCM types. Have they updated this policy recently?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I actually asked him about taking my truck to a live tuning day, but unfortunately he told me that they could only do live tuning or data cable tuning on GMT800s or newer. At least that's how I remember reading it, something to do with the black box vs other PCM types. Have they updated this policy recently?

Well I was talking about 411 trucks. I've never dealt with him on black box trucks.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I was talking about 411 trucks. I've never dealt with him on black box trucks.

Right on, that's definitely what the deal is then. Thanks for the clarification.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks bud. I'd end up resetting my pcm to stock on the hypertech when I'd upload the tune. Most programmers/tuners are incompatible with each other. Only ones I've seen a programmer work after a tune was uploaded was sct. And that's cause I uploaded the tune with my x3 and then used the x3 "programming" to make a couple adjustments later on since I changed tire size.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks bud. I'd end up resetting my pcm to stock on the hypertech when I'd upload the tune. Most programmers/tuners are incompatible with each other. Only ones I've seen a programmer work after a tune was uploaded was sct. And that's cause I uploaded the tune with my x3 and then used the x3 "programming" to make a couple adjustments later on since I changed tire size.

Um, maybe I'm just not reading this right but I'm still not sure you're understanding this. BBP does not send you a programmer. You have to physically unplug your PCM from your truck, which will render it undrivable. Then mail said PCM to BBP, who will tune it using their EFILive software and mail it back to you. Then you install it. No handheld thing, no "uploading tunes." There's no way to change anything unless you take it out and mail it back to them for a re-tune. Your Hypertech might technically still work if you plug it in to your OBDII port afterward, but if you tune on top of the BBP tune you will undoubtedly screw something up big time. Sorry if this is beating a dead horse but I just want to make sure you don't break anything.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the miscommunication, when I made reference with the sct software/handheld tuners I was intending you could have a tune written using the sct program but make minor adjustments to it as need. Stuff like tire size, RAR change.

I also had a misunderstanding myself, I thought BBP would email your tune and you upload it via compatible handheld tuner. Since I'd have to send my PCM off I'd just have to settle with a local tuner then. As stated earlier headers are next on my list for performance mods before I get a New tune.

Sent from a ditch somewhere

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since I'd have to send my PCM off I'd just have to settle with a local tuner then.

Alternatively, like I said earlier you could do what I did and just buy a spare PCM from BBP for an extra $70 or so. Then all you have to do is plug it in when it shows up and you never lose the ability to drive the truck. If you do this though you will have to take the truck to a shop with access to a GM Tech-2 scanner so they can do a CASE relearn procedure for the new PCM. The truck will drive OK until you do this, but you will get a check engine light until it's done.

As a bonus, if you go this route you'll always have your stock PCM with stock tune to plug back in if you want to.

Last edited:

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah but after all of that is done I could of set a date and had the truck up on the dyno and tuned, seems more feasable especially since I'm a college student and bang for buck is a big deal. Just taking a rough estimate I would be looking at around 600-700 bucks to get my tune through BBP whereas I could drive 40 mins south to a tu er and have the tune and a few power runs for 450.

Sent from a ditch somewhere