5.7 vortec bolt ons.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay guys, I need a little help with my "checklist" of mods for my 96. I'm looking to run full bolt on's on this truck. I'm needing info on anything that i'm missing/ needing. Thanks.

Currently have:
K&N CAI
Granatelli MAF
Hypertech Power Programmer III
Custom Y pipe w/ cats
Flowmaster catback

Planned:
Headers

Anything else I'm needing? I.e pulleys, lifters, ect.
Thanks

Whipped96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sell the MAF and Hypertec and put that money into a 0411 PCM swap and good tune.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sell the MAF and Hypertec and put that money into a 0411 PCM swap and good tune.

Wouldnt I still be able to use the MAF with a 0411 PCM swap since i'll have to get a tune to make the PCM to work anyways?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldnt I still be able to use the MAF with a 0411 PCM swap since i'll have to get a tune to make the PCM to work anyways?

To be honest, not really. All the major tuning companies that I'm aware of base their tuning on factory MAF readings. The Granatelli will be reading differently than the factory one and throw off their tune. It's not going to help you any. The stock MAF flows plenty of air unmodified. Hate to say it but aftermarket MAFs are kind of a waste of money.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay. Luckily it came on the truck when I bought it and I have the factory 96 MAF. But to get the best results I'll have to get a MAF for the appropriate year truck I got the PCM from?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No your stock MAF will be fine. The 411 PCM will work fine with it should you choose to go that route. Honestly though unless you're doing some large scale upgrades I'd stick with your factory PCM and have it tuned. I have a V6 with a lot of bolt-ons and a tune from BBP and I'm still running the factory black box style PCM, no complaints here. As far as I understand it the 411 PCM is just a more advanced unit with a few more capabilities, such as the ability to run e-fans. Unless you're going to be running forced induction or serious engine work in the future I think you'll be fine with the factory style.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, thanks bud. You know of anyone who does tuning for blackbox PCM? I know my hypertech is very limited performance wise so I'll need a different tuner. I can always order another one if need be. I might just have a local shop to me do a full dyno tune. I'm unsure if i'll get a better result with driving an hour to the dyno shop on a open tune or order a mail in tune.

Anyways, back to the original question of, After headers will I have any other bolt ons or would i have to start getting to more extensive mods like cams, heads, porting?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
My 2 cents.

While yes you can spend money on your existing platform, it may be better to pick up a running low mile 5.3 or 6.0L and swap it into your truck, provided you can be down for a weekend or two.

The LS engines are light years better in terms of longevity, power, mileage, and there is a lot of aftermarket support for them.

Whipped96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know of anyone who does tuning for blackbox PCM?

Black Bear performance and PCMforLess do for sure. Nelson Performance might do them.

The reason I recommend the 0411 swap is because it is MUCH easier to find a tuner, you may even have one locally. It is also a better PCM for when you start doing more to the truck.

Last edited: