5.7 vortec bolt ons.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Black Bear did my black box computer. I am very pleased with it.

Somebody is always going to chime in that the best way (or only way) to go is an LS swap. Yes, it's a better platform, but there is nothing wrong with working with what you have.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've considered engine swaps in the long run, however, this truck being my daily driver I'm not able just to pull the engine. Therefore, I'm stuck working with what I got. I'm not looking for anything nuts. I can have the truck down for a day, maybe two if its a weekend. That's my reasoning for bolt on's. I can get them done in a few hours to a day.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would never swap my 5.7 for an LS engine. If I was going to do a swap, it would be a 383 Vortec stroker. GM built the 350 (5.7 L ) for 35 years for a reason. If you want performance up grades for your Vortec, here is what I did to mine. I removed the throttle body and cut off the defuser plate from the bottom of the throttle plate, just be sure to cut the plastic plate with out removing the rivets that hold it to the steel plate. I removed the plastic vortex box from the air supply tube that is bolted to the top of the throttle body, and I caped off the hole with a ***** can. This give a straighter air flow to the throttle body. I installed a cold air filter. There is no need for a CAI system if you do this. I installed Summit shorty headers, and removed the factory muffler, then I added 2 old school glass packs and ran duel out the back. This removes restrictons from the exhaust system (flow masters are restrictive) Then I bought a Jet programmer and tuned my truck to max performance. ( a black bear tune will do better than the Jet tuner) Because I live in the deep south I put a 170 degree thermostat in my truck, but it is hot here most of the time, 70 degrees today. One of my co workers has a real nice 2013 crew cab with a 5.3 LS and I can just out run him. You can you tube the how 2s.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As mentioned, Black Bear performance for the blackbox tune. Good people.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As mentioned, Black Bear performance for the blackbox tune. Good people.
Agreed on the tune, But do the other performance mods first so they can be tolled to the people @ Black Bear first, so you can max out the Ops. offered.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed on the tune, But do the other performance mods first so they can be tolled to the people @ Black Bear first, so you can max out the Ops. offered.

I agree with this generally, as well. However BBP does offer free re-tunes for the life of the vehicle if you ever want to change something later on. (Except for engine swaps or anything else that would require a brand new base tune, IIRC.)

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very good to know. One day I want to do a 383 Vortec stroker swap, and then I plan on a BBT, as for now, well the old Jet programmer will just have to do.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so dumb question, but what programmer does BBT use?

I as well have my hypertech maxxed.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They own there system, check out the web sight. They send you a reprogrammed computer, and you send them yours in return.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
A tune will be the absolute most bang for your buck. TB spacers will make some difference on a Vortec, but not much. Underdrive pulleys will also help a bit.

I'm a huge LS nut, but come on, the guy asks about bolt ons and someone already comes in and starts talking LS swapping? Be real brah!