4.3l Alternator Question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Cheyenne

W/T 4 Life...
Reaction score
Hey all,
My 94 has the 4.3l v6 with a 100 amp alternator and I'm going to run some kc daylighters (x2) what is the recomended amperage on an alternator with that application, also are the sbc's and 4.3l's interchangable?

This would help me out a bunch. (Mods, maybe this should be in the stupid electronics q's thread) IDK...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No numbers but...... You will be fine with the alternator you have. Just don't run them for long periods of time with the truck not running.

If you really wanna do a cheapish upgrade check out a Pontiac transport alternator. They are 140amp alternators from the factory. But like I said your stock 100a alt will do just fine. You could put another 6+ lights on there with the stock alt and it would still be fine as long as you don't leave them on for a long time with out the truck running. Make sure that you wire them correctly...wire that they all usually give you with the lights is to small for my liking.

Sent from what use to be a great country.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is my preference for wiring anything these days....I use a relay on just about everything. Just don't forget to fuse the incoming 12v+ still though... No power wire to run into the cab and back out this way... Can keep the power wires pretty short and outta harms way..
You must be registered for see images attach

94Cheyenne

W/T 4 Life...
Reaction score
thanks! that really made it simple. the lights actually came with a decent relay too so that's good to know.
I don't plan on having the light on while the truck isn't running but that's good to know that it will work just fine.
Cheers!

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wire backwards to what everyone else does....so says all my friends... Does make it simple though. I like to be safer then sorry.. My way by controlling the ground on the relay with a switch the switch doesn't heat up and melt...yes even had a good premium switch melt by running power through it like most do. And only have to run 1 wire all the way back out and can put the other wire from the switch right next to it anywhere that is already grounded. I have had switches actually melt, even the good right amperage ones. So I do it this way always now no matter what it is that is an add on item to a vehicle.

Sent from what use to be a great country.