Whining alternator on my ‘94

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The alternator is new, has only about 500 miles on it

The bearings are fine.
The volts are fine.
Other idlers, bearings are also new and smooth/ quiet.

Can you just trust me that it's making noise (a classic alternator whine), and I want to replace it with a good, high amp alternator and just need a recommendation?

I imagine the stator is partly bad, which will cause the specific noise I'm hearing. I haven't bothered to check amps, but with a likely partial bad stator, it's probably not making rated amps. It just doesn't matter--> it's noisy and I want to replace it.

60 year professional mechanic. Been out of it for a while. What's a good, high amp alternator option that will fit?

Vettepilot
Can you just trust that because we aren't looking over your shoulder standing next to you, that we will give you every possibility.
But first, as always, the first thing is , all together now!
Year, Make, Model, Eng, and Trans if a transmission problem. We do have a professional Transmission gentleman.
Alternator models and capacity has changed during the GMT 400 generation.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, thought I had posted that. It is a 1994 GMC K1500 with 5.7.

Also sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine that so often, someone writes in a question in forums, and right away either everyone tries to talk him out of what he wants to do, or skies off on a tangent trying to troubleshoot, or whatever.

I am fixing up this truck for myself. Anything I repair or replace gets upgraded if possible. It has a noisy alternator, so I would just like to know what the options/possibilities are to install a higher amp, better alternator.

For anyone that just must know, it is very definitely alternator whine and not stereo or amp.

;~)

Wait. I just went back and looked. I had posted that it's a 1994 K1500...

Vettepilot

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MEA culpa, I didn't connect the earlier post sorry. There was an option for the larger alt, amps between 120 to 145 about. But the factory also had some support bars added. And a 1 inch longer belt.
Some have installed the next gen vortec alt. There are a few other threads with good ideas.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez! I am sure hundreds of people have upgraded their charging systems on these trucks, yet no advice here???

The thread title may lead readers to a different expectation of the thread's content; your post is sorta at its mercy.

Regardless, @Schurkey, @GoToGuy and @tinfoil_hat gave a few pointers, e.g., study the existing OE higher-output alternator option for the 1994 year GMT400 and consider "upgrading" to it, along with whatever brackets GM felt necessary for mounting it (as @tinfoil_hat and @GoToGuy noted). See...

Perhaps research existing threads yourself for the information, or start a new thread with an appropriate title that will draw in readers to comment.

Also check out some of the "Similar threads" below, they may (or may not) provide some leads.

Last edited: