Quick questions on my '94 Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdjonesdr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Messing around with the alternator I found a couple of things:
My alternator is putting out 12+/- volts. I get the same reading at the output on the alternator and the battery. It should be 13+, correct?
(The battery is a new Interstate and charges to 13+ with my charger.)
If I turn on the lights and A/C, the voltage drops to 11. No bueno.
After looking at it a little closer, the first thing I can see is that is it old and probably the original one.
The pigtail connector is in bad shape, and when I look at it a little closer, it only has one black wire in the wire cover. It also doesn't latch correctly on the alternator.
Since I am always one to overreact, I decided to buy a new original AC Delco alternator, the rubber cap for the output terminal, and a new pigtail.
Stupid question, but I'm on the right track, correct?
The only thing that puzzles me is the single wire coming from the pigtail. Does that make any sense?

As always, thank you in advance for your comments/advice, and Happy New Year.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Should be charging very close to 14V running. If the harness connector isn't good, the alternator may not be kicking in. I've fought a couple that would charge intermittently and when they'd stop, wiggling that connector would kick them in and you'd notice it immediately as a change in pitch of the alternator and idle speed.

I'd address the connector first, before replacing the alternator.

Richard

jdjonesdr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be charging very close to 14V running. If the harness connector isn't good, the alternator may not be kicking in. I've fought a couple that would charge intermittently and when they'd stop, wiggling that connector would kick them in and you'd notice it immediately as a change in pitch of the alternator and idle speed.

I'd address the connector first, before replacing the alternator.

Richard
Thanks, Richard.
That was my first thought, but everything there is pretty deteriorated. The Alternator is downright ugly.
Also, did all of the wiggling (but not disconnecting while running) and can't get a noticeable variation in voltage/sound/etc. Everything else is tight.

Reaction score
It does not take alot of resistance for the voltage to not be optimal. I would go over all the connections with some sandpaper. Even tho if the connections are new just a small bit of oxidation would be enough. I tend to use some kind of electrical spray.

Maybe open up the alternator and look if the winding is ok, if its shorted close the output that could be the reason.

Happy new year.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 95 winter truck I have one ground going to the fender from battery, then from battery I have the large ground going to the front exhaust manifold bolt beside battery, On that same bolt I added a ground to the frame under that bolt. Then I added a ground on that same side of frame to a bolt stud on the manifold drivers side. No Idea what that stud was for originally LOL... Then my new Alt I put in work again... May not be your problem but it fixed mine with the new Alt, probably because mine is rusty winter driver, and the extra grounds fixed it. But if as ugly as you say? replace the alt with new one LOL... OH... is your original alt SINGLE wire ???

Last edited:

jdjonesdr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 95 winter truck I have one ground going to the fender from battery, then from battery I have the large ground going to the front exhaust manifold bolt beside battery, On that same bolt I added a ground to the frame under that bolt. Then I added a ground on that same side of frame to a bolt stud on the manifold drivers side. No Idea what that stud was for originally LOL... Then my new Alt I put in work again... May not be your problem but it fixed mine with the new Alt, probably because mine is rusty winter driver, and the extra grounds fixed it. But if as ugly as you say? replace the alt with new one LOL... OH... is your original alt SINGLE wire ???
The alternator is probably the most ugly thing under the hood, but truth be told, it doesn't look THAT bad, it just doesn't look as good as everything else.
The truck only has about 33k miles on it.
I like grounds too. I have a '90 Cherokee XJ that begs for them. lol

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM one wire alternator normal. Pull the alternator have it checked at AutoZone or O'Reilly's, or your choice parts place. If you just want to cover all your bases. Can be shiny and dead. Looks like puke but still a workhorse. Electricity is funny like that.
Not at work ,holidays so went to AutoZone watched 'em spin up one I had on shelf. Sounds good good volts. Install on 95, so I can rebuild the squealer. :Big Laugh:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My alternator is putting out 12+/- volts.
Almost certainly a failed alternator.

I get the same reading at the output on the alternator and the battery. It should be 13+, correct?
As said...14.x is typical.

The pigtail connector is in bad shape, and when I look at it a little closer, it only has one black wire in the wire cover.
Yup.

I decided to buy a new original AC Delco alternator, the rubber cap for the output terminal, and a new pigtail.
Stupid question, but I'm on the right track, correct?
Absolutely.

The only thing that puzzles me is the single wire coming from the pigtail. Does that make any sense?
OH... is your original alt SINGLE wire ???
Of course not. I expect it's a normal CS130, with a single small-gauge brown wire in the "P" socket of the molded-plastic connector on the side, and another, heavy output wire on the back. Two wires, total, plus a ground connection via the case.

"Single wire" alternators in the 10- or 12SI series had only the output wire, no external wires at all at the regulator.