2000 GMC 3500 & Gooseneck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked performance distributors? They make nice stuff an there 5.7 vortec dizzy is only $189 I believe....

MrBeast

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked performance distributors? They make nice stuff an there 5.7 vortec dizzy is only $189 I believe....

I have looked around and MSD has one but they say that it does not work with the 7.4 only the 5.7 so I am not sure what the difference between them is.

MrBeast

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a passing thought earlier, I decided to open up the base config file for the Vortec 454 in HP tuners, What I found was kind of interesting.

You must be registered for see images attach

In the Idle spark map (top) the timing below 85kPa is 25 degrees.

Last night with the timing light finding the timing at exactly 25° BTDC it leads me to belive the problem may be related to the MAP sensor. If it is producing a faulty reading this could cause the engine to be running way retarded at idle, because the steps below are 13, 12, 7, 5 and 3 degrees BTDC.

When I rev the engine the timing will breifly drop to 20° then will advance to 25° then 27° as the RPM's come up. Looking at the throttle advance spark timing chart, it shows that it should start hitting those ranges through the same range where the idle is advanced 25° on the idle chart.

I am thinking the MAP sensor may be reading improperly. Looking at it, it is a delphi part, but it does appear to be pretty old. I think as a PM measure I am going to replace the sensor and see if this cleans up the way my motor is running at all.

Testing it I disconnected the map, put the truck in gear, stood on the brake and turned the wheels, the engine RPM fluctuated, but it did not die. With the map connected I repeated the test, the RPMs fluctuated wildly and the engine died. Again sounds like the map is not reading correctly.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I think the truck would look really good with the checkered flag thing taken off. Glad you are making some progress on getting it to run better.

MrBeast

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tonight I decided to drive the truck to school with the MAP sensor unplugged, surprisingly the truck ran much better and had way more power than it did with it hooked up. I think I have found my problem. It shouldn't run better on the base line spark map.

MrBeast

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made some more progress on the truck today, I towed my trailer down and scrapped it, left the MAP unplugged, the truck had much more power and pulled the trailer much better, I decided to order a new Delphi MAP it will be in tomorrow morning.

I also bought a fuel pressure gage, fuel is reading about 54 psi at idle, and you rev it up and it will drop off to 40 then climb back up. I was having this idle problem before replacing the injectors and when I did so I put in a new fuel pressure regulator, I am thinking the fuel pump is going bad, it is pretty loud when running so I suspect it is the culprit.

I am going to oder a frame mounted external fuel pump then gut the in tank pump so it serves only as a pickup. This way I can put a secondary fuel tank in the bed which will give me another 60 gallons of gas on board.

Any day now I should be getting a check I am waiting on, as soon as I get it I am ordering the HP Tuners programmer. Going to get this thing set once and for all. It will be nice being able to program my ECM.

MrBeast

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Picked up the new map sensor, stuck it in, truck woke right up. I have tripple the power I did before. Comparing the old sensor to the new one I discovered that the sensor that was installed on the truck was the wrong one.

I ran up to get some lunch in it, stuck my foot in it a couple of times hard, with the shift kit in the new transmission the truck was literally lunging forward at 80 mph when it shifted. This thing is a friking animal!

I am still having the idle issue, I think it is either because of the fuel pressure issue, or the distributor, in a bit I am going to see if the timing is still walking all over the place at idle. If it is I have a pretty good idea of what will need to be done to fix it.

Over all though the power issue has been fixed, and the truck has come alive. I am loving that big block power. One of the next things on the menue is going to be a set of flowmaster 50 series mufflers and dual tail pipes.

I get these couple of issues handled, and it will be like having a brand new truck.

MrBeast

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys I have not had updates on this for a while because I have not done much to the truck, the last month and a half it has been sitting over at a body shop, I got ran off the road by a school bus and messed the front end all up.

Supposedly tomorrow I am getting it back, they had to replace the bumper, grill and fix the frame. It took a pretty hard hit, and it knocked out the engine, I won't have details on what took the motor down until I pick it up tomorrow.

Also since they had to replace the bumper I had them replace it with a smooth bumper with no rubber strip, I think it will look a lot better.

The next few weeks are going to be spent seeing what else I can get tuned up on it, I am also going to get the other dash swapped in, and getting the alarm and electric locks fixed.

As well I need to get the brake controller installed so all of this is going to happen at once.

Then come April I am going to start shopping for a goose neck trailer so I can get everything loaded up and hauled back to Montana come June.

On the other front, my jeep is pretty close to being back together, once I have it back on the road and running where I can drive it that will be nice giving me double vehicle redundancy again, but also having a 4x4 for the Montana winter will be a good thing.

I am just going to be happy to have my truck back, I have been with out it since the 22nd of December, since then I have been stuck in a rental, and Friday I had to turn the rental in because it was no longer covered.

Next I am going to have to tackle the fuel economy issue, I am suspecting the ignition system so it will be getting the new distributor,the new plugs and wires, and I may even throw an MSD ignition at it. Hopefully that will be enough to get it brought up to speed.

Also I am going to bypass the EGR and remove the remainder of the emissions system.

I think one of the next things on my list too will be getting some aluminum wheels on it.

MrBeast

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So right now I am totally pissed, stopped by to pick up the truck this afternoon, found out it is not ready, they said it probably will not be until tomorrow or Wednesday. This is after they told me it would be ready last Friday.

As well I have my suspicion that they used a cheap knock off grille in the truck, they said the chrome on the grille they bought was peeling. We will see how it looks tomorrow when I see it.

I have a feeling this is going to turn into a major issue. I am not accepting the truck if it has a knock off grille in it. Going to be a long day tomorrow me thinks.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: 2000 GMC 3500 & Gooseneck.

Hate to hear that man. Good luck tomorrow an make them make it right an you happy before you accept it back!