1badgmc's Suburban Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took the Suburban for it's annual check-up (read: safety inspection) yesterday. I didn't feel like driving all the way out to my friend's shop, so I went to a nearby lube shop. Surprisingly, they didn't give me any hell about the HIDs. Since they have 2 morons there with 10-12,000K HIDs on their vehicles, I was going to raise hell if they did. :lol: I did find one guy up there pretty hilarious. He was flipping out over how dark the tint on the rear windows is. "Dude, how many layers of tint did you have to put on there!?" "It's just a layer of 5 on top of the factory tint," I told him. He metered it at 1%, which is right where it should be.

I put a fresh coat of black on the center caps for my Sport wheels yesterday. If all goes well, I should be putting tires on those wheels and getting them mounted up next weekend. :cool:

bigwavedave

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am so happy I don't have to go through any sort of inspection for my vehicles. I did when I lived in Europe and it was not too bad, but still hated it. Thank goodness for Florida plates....I can only milk these things for another 12 years though

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Luckily (knock on wood), emissions testing hasn't made it to my area yet. Only the biggest metro areas in the state have emissions testing. If I fail a safety inspection, I have several sources that I can go to who will pass me with no questions, so I don't really sweat it any.

DroppedAsAChild

OBS Hoarder
Reaction score
Jay, Finally we will see the burb with the 454's on it ? What size tire are you going with ? Your running 1% tint on the rear? thats insane I think thats what I had on mine when i got it, I had Limo on top of factory. I hated it.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jay, Finally we will see the burb with the 454's on it ?

Yep. :cool:

What size tire are you going with?

Just sticking with the stock 235/75s.

Your running 1% tint on the rear? thats insane I think thats what I had on mine when i got it, I had Limo on top of factory. I hated it.

1% is perfect for me. I can still see through it very well, even at night, but nobody can see in. I have 1.75% (5 on top of 35) on the rear windows of my CTS and the back glass on my '91 is 0.25%. Yes, you read that right, one-quarter of one percent. 2 layers of 5. I like my tint dark. 5% just isn't quite dark enough for rear windows for me. Since I don't drive it, my '91 still also has 5% on the doors and a 13" 5% eyebrow. They eyebrow is set just above my eye level. In a perfect world the CTS and Suburban would have the same, but unfortunately we have tint laws so I have legal tint on the fronts of them. Those laws at least allow me freedom to go as dark as I like on rear windows, so I'm going to do it.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the stock size tire on these, when they are lowered they really feel the wheel well nicely.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about going 255/70s for some extra width, but I know the 235s don't rub at this height so I stuck with them.