1badgmc's Suburban Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figure I'll go ahead and do a build thread for the Suburban to keep track of it here.

The Vehicle:
1998 Chevrolet Suburban LS.

I purchased it on January 22, 2010 with 166,134 miles on the clock. When I bought it, I talked with the salesperson who sold it to the previous owners. They bought it 7 years ago. It was an older couple that had owned it. They traded it in on a new truck. The Suburban had been parked undriven for over a year. The inspection sticker had been expired since 02/08.

The Plans:
DRLs were killed within 2 minutes of getting home with it. Today I removed the luggage rack and Ventshades. It's dark out now, but I still need to get the tape from the Ventshaes removed. :cussing:
Running boards need to eventually go.
Today I ordered a DDM Tuning 4500K 35w HID kit.
I'm going to swap over the TYC Elegante headlights and parking lights and Anzo LED taillights from my '94.
I still haven't decided if I want to go with clear corners or the euro amber corners. I'm leaning toward amber.
I have a smooth front bumper with fog lights and a frenched plate that I had gotten for the '94 that I'll get painted and put on.
The stock rear bumper has been hit, so I want to replace it. Preferably with a work truck bumper that I can paint.
A drop is definitely needed. I have the parts to do a 3" front and 2" rear drop right now, but I'm just afraid it might give me too much rake.
I need tint too. These windows are way too light.
LEDs: I plan to replace all the interior courtesy lights and HVAC lights with white LEDs. I would also like to get into the radio and window switches and replace those with white LEDs as well. The gauge cluster I'll put blue LEDs in.
Maybe find a '99-'00 Escalade gauge cluster.

That's the short list for now. I'm sure more ideas will come along, but this is what I've got for now.

You must be registered for see images attach

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The interior is super clean, but the pewter with blue interior is quite the odd color combo. No complaints, though, since I like blue. At least it's not tan or red.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking the previous owner had some issues backing up to a trailer. There is a trailer brake controller on the dash, so I know it's been used to pull something.

On the left side it looks like maybe a trailer was cranked pretty high and the truck was backed into the tongue which hit the taillight and pushed all the way around the corner and caught the body a bit.

On the right side, the bumper was hit a bit harder and pushed into the body.

I'm not overly concerned about these issues since it's not going to be a showpiece, but I would like to straighten them out a bit if I can.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LED tails installed.

Luggage rack and Ventshades removed. I still need to finish removing all the tape from the Ventshades. :teddy: I also need to remove the black strips on the roof from the luggage rack, but I've got enough tape to remove for now. Time for a wash.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About a month ago, I finished work early on a Friday, so I decided to tackle the drop and get it over with instead of waiting for Saturday. I started around noon and finished around 7:30. This thing fought me harder than any other truck I've ever dropped. From the first friggin' bolt I took out, it told me it was going to be a stubborn *****. The first bolt, a lower shock bolt on the driver's side, snapped in two. The balljoints didn't want to let go either. I've always been able to do the job without one, but I had to run and pick up a balljoint separator yesterday. The 30-40 mph winds blowing dirt in my eyes the entire time didn't make things any better. My dad came down to lend me some moral support and help where he could (he has a bad back). He was laughing at me saying I've led a charmed life with all the drops I've done before because I always made them look so easy to him. Yeah, I got paid back for all those easy installs with this one. Once I got the busted shock bolt all straightened out, everything went back together pretty smoothly. I installed some Energy Suspension swaybar bushings and endlinks while I was at it.

The only negative is that it seems I'm going to need some hangers now. I had about 1/2" of rake before the drop and now I've got 2". The 2" Hotchkis coils gave me 3" of drop on the left and 3.25" of drop on the right. Very nice. The shackles gave me 1.25" of drop on the left and 1.5" of drop on the right. Not so nice. Oh well. Still doesn't look too bad.

The best part was the test drive. The thing rides great and the handling is greatly improved, even on this heavy-ass Suburban. Body roll has been greatly reduced and the wobble I would get around some corners with dips has been reduced considerably as well.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some better pictures after a bath and out of the driveway.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got these things on last week and man, the ride is soooooooo much nicer now!

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's good to have options...

I'm seriously leaning toward the black caps.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took some pics of the lights last weekend.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And that pretty much brings it up to date. I did finally get a layer of 5% put on the rear doors, so it's nice and dark back there now.

The next priority is to get some hangers and get the rear leveled out. When that happens I'll probably also toss the running boards and I need to cut back that stupid exhaust tip.

I have a cousin with a '95 Yukon that's willing to swap me for his GMC grille and his good rear bumper. I just have to figure out when I have enough money to drive out to his place in the boonies and get it done.