1998 K1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I was quoted $1,000 to remove, rebuild, and put back in or $500 if I removed it and put it back in. Thanks bud, I liked your truck too, it's like my Canadian half brother! Ha.

Well, $2,500 later she's gone... Sold it to a friend of a guy at my college. He'll have to get a new tranny for it, but it'll treat him good! Was sad watching it get hauled away...

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow 500 is a steal! And also awesome deal on getting 2500 for a truck with a bad trans.

98MNChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow 500 is a steal! And also awesome deal on getting 2500 for a truck with a bad trans.

Agreed, I was about to pull the trigger on the basically free rebuild and then was offered $2,500. Couldn't beat that!

So when are you going to get another and start a new thread lol? I'm snowed in my garage and in need of something to mod :rofl:

I'm not sure to be honest. I want a crew cab diesel, preferably a 7.3 Powerstroke, but it just isn't realistic or practical while I'm in college. Any heavy pulling or hauling I can use one of the other farm trucks for.

:bawl: WTF..............I just friended you on FB lol

Makes it easier for me to keep up with your build this way! [emoji6]

98MNChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put some pink/purple LEDs in yesterday.

98MNChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol thread goes from it being gone to "LEDs installed." Glad you got the truck back man

Haha, that's my bad. I forgot to tell what happened.

I ended up getting the truck back after about 3 months. The transmission was "rebuilt" but there is still a very noticeable slip from 2nd to 3rd and the linkage is off causing park to only engage about 50% of the time. I got the contact information of the guy who did the work on the transmission and he is taking a different 98 4L60E and completely overhauling it with new everything. Then he is going to swap that transmission in to my truck free of charge because his first rebuild was far less than acceptable.

Long story short, the truck is drive able and now has 3rd and OD but is getting a completely new transmission in a few weeks.

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
Haha, that's my bad. I forgot to tell what happened.

I ended up getting the truck back after about 3 months. The transmission was "rebuilt" but there is still a very noticeable slip from 2nd to 3rd and the linkage is off causing park to only engage about 50% of the time. I got the contact information of the guy who did the work on the transmission and he is taking a different 98 4L60E and completely overhauling it with new everything. Then he is going to swap that transmission in to my truck free of charge because his first rebuild was far less than acceptable.

Long story short, the truck is drive able and now has 3rd and OD but is getting a completely new transmission in a few weeks.

Now that's a good deal

98MNChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just realized the picture from the day I got it back never posted, so that's strange. Here it is!

Newest word on the street is that the new transmission will be put in over Valentines weekend and I will pick it up later that week. Pretty pumped to hopefully have it back to running like how it used to. It goes down the road good right now, there is just a very large and noticeable slip between 2nd and 3rd gears and recently it has been taking a long time to shift into OD from 3rd. Usually shifts at around 1,800 rpms (unless I'm really getting on it) and lately it shifts around 2,600+ rpms. Not too worried as it only needs to last less than two weeks and the hour drive from Orange City to Sioux City. After that I'll have the new transmission.

Here's how it currently sits.. I have a new Bluetooth radio, new door speakers, and slave cd delete pocket at home to put in over spring break. Other than that, nothing will be changing until then. Hopefully I'll be back to working and get a few dollars saved. If I didn't have these transmission problems I would be well on my way to having a 6" lift in. Had planned on getting one as a Christmas gift to myself, but that's on the back burner now... One day I suppose I'll get it. Anyways......