1998 K1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98MNChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well here goes nothing... Thomas (98ChevyZ71) twisted my arm into starting up my own build thread so I can share my truck with all of you. So if you like it, you can thank him, and if you don't, well, then it's definitely his fault.. :lol:

First off, I'd like to point out that as a 17 year old who is still in highschool, there won't be a whole lot of daily (or even weekly/monthly) updates to this thread or to the truck.

I used to drive a '94 Ford Explorer (don't hate me!), but it eventually started to have one problem after another (not surprising; it is a ford..haha). So near the end of the summer, my dad and I were on the way back from a trip down to Sioux City Iowa and ran into a gentle man who was looking at purchasing a new truck but had this 1998. I went up to the man, talked to him about his truck, checked it out, got his contact information, and two weeks later my dad and I were on our way back down towards the border to go purchase the truck.

Here it is a few days after it was purchased. I was too excited to finally have a K1500 that I completely forgot to take pictures the day we picked it up.

You must be registered for see images attach

There used to be a fifth wheel plate in it by the previous owner and the only rust on the truck is the few little spots where the plate used to sit in the bed:

After about a week of driving it stock I decided it was time to start modifying the truck. Who wants to drive a truck that looks like everyone elses, right? First, I purchased a used tool box for $30 and that same weekend I painted both bumpers, the rockers, and the grill:

After that, things went silent except for me picking up some red touch up paint and outlining the bowtie on the grill, the door badges, and the tailgate badge. The next week I picked up an old backrack/bedrails custom built for an 8 foot bed. Took it home, cut it down to fit my truck, sanded it down, and painted it flat black. Three weeks or so later I went ahead and put dual thrush glasspacks, two inch keys, and one inch blocks in the truck. The following week I went and picked up my 18 inch MB TKO rims with optional center caps wrapped with 33.5 inch Goodyear Duratracs. I only have two pictures of the truck in this stage and both of them have my neighbor's sweet K1500 in it as well:

Next I blacked out my corner markers and corner blinkers and compared my 1998 to my friends 1997. Little bit of a difference, no?

And a few of my truck on its own:

For the next few weeks the truck stayed like that until I finally got around to taking my KC lights off the bumper of my old explorer. Next I bought a piece of steel shelving from my dad's work and added onto my backrack so I have a second bar to attach my KCs to. Then the KCs were bolted on:

Unfortunately, that is how the truck stayed for almost two months because I got grounded (don't forget that I am only 17! Haha). Over the time that I was grounded, I picked up a set of 3 foot cb whips and mounted them to the toolbox and also installed a Cobra 19 cb. This next picture was taken on Thursday. And if you are from Minnesota, you know that is the day that we were supposed to get anywhere from 6-12 inches of snow...

This next picture was taken just yesterday. She definitely is my pride and joy:

That is all that I have as of right now on my truck. There is definitely more to come though, so stay tuned!

Thanks again to Thomas and his expert photoshop skills, I am able to show you what it should look like in the future with a visor and tows on it:

Thanks everyone for reading and tell me what you think!!

-Nick

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
I think we got alittle more that 12in of snow:lol:

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
truck came a long way!! Ive never seen those types of rims, I really like them though!!Cant wait to see more down to your truck man

98MNChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck looks Awesome Nick glad to see the build thread is up!!!

Only up because of you! Haha, I think it depended where we were in the state, but there were some killer drifts on Friday. Some of the local roads had 3-4 foot drifts covering 3/4 or all of the road. Needless to say, I helped a lot of people out on Thursday and Friday.

Nice looking truck.

Thanks man! Really means a lot! Hoping to add tows, visor, Code 3 MX700 (or similar) lightbar instead of the KCs, and eventually I'd like to get a 2 or 3 inch body lift so I can get some 35s.

That truck look amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Thanks, sure means a lot coming from you guys. Lots of people at school love it as well, but it's good to get your guy's opinions. Especially because this is my first time ever doing these kinds of things to a vehicle. Love input from others! :)

truck came a long way!! Ive never seen those types of rims, I really like them though!!Cant wait to see more down to your truck man

Haha, it really has come a long way in such a short amount of time. Thanks for the compliment! Yea, a year or so ago I saw the MB TKOs on a jeep in the parking lot of Home Depot and ever since then I knew I had to get them, ha. Next up are the tows, visor, code 3 MX7000 (or similar) lightbar, body lift, 35s, rear tow hooks, more auxillary lights, maybe shackles in the front, and maybe a TAG or similar heavy duty front bumper.

Thoughts?

-Nick

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
Only up because of you! Haha, I think it depended where we were in the state, but there were some killer drifts on Friday. Some of the local roads had 3-4 foot drifts covering 3/4 or all of the road. Needless to say, I helped a lot of people out on Thursday and Friday.

Thanks man! Really means a lot! Hoping to add tows, visor, Code 3 MX700 (or similar) lightbar instead of the KCs, and eventually I'd like to get a 2 or 3 inch body lift so I can get some 35s.

Thanks, sure means a lot coming from you guys. Lots of people at school love it as well, but it's good to get your guy's opinions. Especially because this is my first time ever doing these kinds of things to a vehicle. Love input from others! :)

Haha, it really has come a long way in such a short amount of time. Thanks for the compliment! Yea, a year or so ago I saw the MB TKOs on a jeep in the parking lot of Home Depot and ever since then I knew I had to get them, ha. Next up are the tows, visor, code 3 MX7000 (or similar) lightbar, body lift, 35s, rear tow hooks, more auxillary lights, maybe shackles in the front, and maybe a TAG or similar heavy duty front bumper.

Thoughts?

-Nick

I spent all Friday dragging the 98 out with the 97 :lol:

98MNChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just took her on a 500 mile road trip to Iowa this weekend. Could have been because I was driving for almost 5 hours straight and just wanted to get home, but it seemed like its starting to drag a bit. Over Christmas break it did the same thing, and it turned out that I needed to add some transmission fluid. Hoping that is the case again and that it's nothing more serious.

-Nick

Last edited:

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
Just took her on a 500 mile road trip to Iowa this weekend. Could have been because I was driving for almost 5 hours straight and just wanted to get home, but it seemed like its starting to drag a bit. Over Christmas break it did the same thing, and it turned out that I needed to add some transmission fluid. Hoping that is the case again and that it's nothing more serious.

On Christmas day 2012 I was heading back from Iowa and my transmission blew up in the 98 :lol: that cost me a pretty penny :bawl: