1998 GMC K2500 ECLB Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Dude i love that white ECLB!!! And all of them actually, i love ECLBs with PY0's.

here's mine, looks a lot like the red one. Mine has PY0's on it but in the summer i run 18x10 racelines...

You must be registered for see images attach

And here are my normal wheels.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I love these OBS trucks with PY0's. i like my custom rims but honestly i wasn't ashamed to put these winter wheels on. They look great on these trucks, regardless whether or not you use the NBS center caps or the OBS ones.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I love these OBS trucks with PY0's. i like my custom rims but honestly i wasn't ashamed to put these winter wheels on. They look great on these trucks, regardless whether or not you use the NBS center caps or the OBS ones.

I've followed both of your builds and enjoyed them both! If it's 8 lug and a gm in my life. It gets PYO'S.

On the white 98, trust me. I regret selling it. The truck only had 140k on it, with 3500 miles on a new gm crate motor when I sold it. I've tried to buy it back from the new owner twice and he's very content with it.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand the feeling! With my 98 K2500 ECLB Silverado I had, the towing capacity wasn't very thrilling at all. I once had 7,000lbs of building materials on a 2,000lb 22' flat deck trailer and another 1,500lbs of materials and new appliances in the bed and I was very let down with the ability of the truck.

This GMC feel's a ton stronger, which i'm not sure of the difference, if any. The 98 Chevy had a brand new GM crate engine in it with 3500 miles when I bought it.

Is your K2500 optioned with 4.10 gears??

Yes. It'll tows 4k and under without issue. It struggles with my 3500# enclosed trailer + 4000# car. It is ok around town but struggles to maintain 55-60 mph on the highway going up and down hills. It'll go if you hammer on it but that is tough on the truck. I usually like something that has lots of low-midrange torque. This 5.7l has no real power between 2300-3200 rpm. Once it gets over 3200 rpm it is acceptable.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Yes. It'll tows 4k and under without issue. It struggles with my 3500# enclosed trailer + 4000# car. It is ok around town but struggles to maintain 55-60 mph on the highway going up and down hills. It'll go if you hammer on it but that is tough on the truck. I usually like something that has lots of low-midrange torque. This 5.7l has no real power between 2300-3200 rpm. Once it gets over 3200 rpm it is acceptable.

So far put of owning three combinations of extended cab longbed trucks. They're all a toss up.

7.4 vortec - towed great, was a little weezy in upper range with 4.10s. Horrible economy. Ate through injectors.

6.5 diesel - this truck had an Optimizer 6500 engine in it with a 4" exhaust, cold air and manual waste gate controller. It was a decent puller in both bottom end and midrange. But still weezy over 2500rpms. Had issues with injectors too. Fuel economy was the best of the three.

5.7 vortec - okay low range, decent mid range and good highend. It'll haul decently, get in between 7.4 and 6.5 fuel economy. And to me, the maintenence costs are lower over the other two.

In all reality it's a choice of the lesser evils.

I'm content with my 5.7 trucks.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So far put of owning three combinations of extended cab longbed trucks. They're all a toss up.

7.4 vortec - towed great, was a little weezy in upper range with 4.10s. Horrible economy. Ate through injectors.

6.5 diesel - this truck had an Optimizer 6500 engine in it with a 4" exhaust, cold air and manual waste gate controller. It was a decent puller in both bottom end and midrange. But still weezy over 2500rpms. Had issues with injectors too. Fuel economy was the best of the three.

5.7 vortec - okay low range, decent mid range and good highend. It'll haul decently, get in between 7.4 and 6.5 fuel economy. And to me, the maintenence costs are lower over the other two.

In all reality it's a choice of the lesser evils.

I'm content with my 5.7 trucks.

This is spot on!

I've worked on all 3 of these of these motors in all kinds of GMT400's... i prefer the Vortec 5.7's.

I like my 454, and my 6.5 is okay, but i think as far as overall, i'd rather have a 5.7.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
This is spot on!

I've worked on all 3 of these of these motors in all kinds of GMT400's... i prefer the Vortec 5.7's.

I like my 454, and my 6.5 is okay, but i think as far as overall, i'd rather have a 5.7.

Just my observations from owning 34 GMT400 trucks in the last three years.

I've also decided to ditch the step bars, ordered a performance auto group 3" body lift for my truck.

Currently contemplating removing the PYO'S and finding a set of chrome H2's with 315's.

likestrucks

Reaction score
The ECLB looks so good! I really like the H2 rims on these truck, they look really good. Make sure to post a picture if you get them.

I havent gotten around to making a SIG yet, i have one over at FSC. Mine is a 98 K1500 ecsb with 499800km(310500miles) on the truck and maybe 10000km(6000miles) on a new GM crate. I dont have cats, and I have a tune from Lyndon at Westers Garage. I have pulled loads before the tune/new motor/cat delete and it did ok(the original cats with that many km on them were probably holding it back a lot). But i towed for the first time since the new engine/no cats/tune and it pulled like a champ. I was pulling a 7500 pound enclosed car hauler, truck has 3.73 gears and I kept it in 3rd, revs were about 2500rmp. I tried to keep it around 100km/h(60mph) but when i wasnt paying attention to my speed I kept speeding up over 110km/h(70mph). There is always newer bigger better out there, but I love my truck with the Vortec 5.7!