1990 K2500 Better Days Ahead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Look closely at the eBay listing I posted for part number 15551235, check the pictures. Those have the two little dimples on the back that stick through the holes in the molding. Trust me, they're what you need. The stick on ones are completely flat on the back.
I saw those two tabs on the examples I saw on ebay. I did not know that is what mounts the emblem to the side molding. I am going to get the side molding kits and see if they have the holes in them to allow for that emblem. Good call @df2x4

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's some door emblems that were removed from the molding on a 454SS truck that I have in the parts stash, went and snapped a pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have already ordered the 10 piece side molding kits from LMC. I cannot see on the pics if the little slots are in the molding or not. I did also see the 10 piece kits on ebay and again, cannot see if mounting slots are there. I am waiting till I get the LMC kits and then can order a couple of the correct 15551235 emblems from ebay. They are available there.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As I have warned here, I am trying to spiffy up my girl's 1990 K2500 and today I took off the old side moldings. The ones that had the silver stripe at the top of the molding strip. It also had the 2500 on it just below the mirrors. The new all black moldings don't have the hole cut in them to allow for the clips to install new 2500 emblems with the 2 tabs on the back that would push in to the clips and hold in place. Gonna get two of the flat back stick on 2500 emblems and attach in the small indented area above the side molding. here are the pics of the driver's side with the old moldings gone and the old adhesive ground off with a 3M wheel in the drill. Still have to wash and rub down and clean thoroughly and install the new black moldings.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You would not think a college girl like this would love 4x4 GM trucks, NASCAR and football, but she does. Retired flight attendant after 40+ years at American Airlines.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would not think a college girl like this would love 4x4 GM trucks, NASCAR and football, but she does. Retired flight attendant after 40+ years at American Airlines.

She's a keeper. :)

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
She's a keeper. :)
Believe me, I know it. We met each other late in life, she is 76 and I am 71 and I thank my lucky stars for her every day. She is a "drop of the hat" road trip girl and she does not cuss and has my back any time. When I am working on vehicles here, she is my helper and hands me tools. Bad experience with a former husband that was a drinker. I stopped drinking for her. If I want a steak, any day of the week, it is cooked to perfection. I like taking care of her truck and her TrailBlazer. She had an old LeBaron when I came on the scene and told her, no freakin' way in hell will I allow her to drive that oil leaking piece of crap. No problem. 2002 TrailBlazer with 73k miles and the 1990 K2500 with 122k miles.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The new all black moldings don't have the hole cut in them to allow for the clips to install new 2500 emblems with the 2 tabs on the back that would push in to the clips and hold in place.

Just a thought, but you could probably punch the holes in the new molding yourself with a Dremel or something similar. You could use the old molding strips as a template if you still have them. I think the holes are really more for locating the emblems than holding them in place anyway, even the emblems with the tabs came with a 3M style adhesive pad on the back side new. You could put a few dabs of extra adhesive on the back before mounting them for extra insurance.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just a thought, but you could probably punch the holes in the new molding yourself with a Dremel or something similar. You could use the old molding strips as a template if you still have them. I think the holes are really more for locating the emblems than holding them in place anyway, even the emblems with the tabs came with a 3M style adhesive pad on the back side new. You could put a few dabs of extra adhesive on the back before mounting them for extra insurance.
I thought of that, but in the end, we have decided to use the old emblems and cut the tabs off and 3m tape them to the spot above the side molding. I looked and looked for new emblems and are discontinued and can get them at ebay but every choice of two is shipped from China and I refuse to do it. I thought about the holes and did save the metal clips that mount from the back and hold the tabs but is only at two spots on each emblem and getting the moldings off bent the emblems a bit and do not trust the way they would look and if they look like crap, I got side moldings with holes in them. I am gonna do the 3m tape and reuse the old emblems after refurbishing. Pics when done.