1998 2 door tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my green stuff back from powder coating. Making good progress on the front end, waiting on bolts to install idler arm. Just have the regear/build diff and it will be onto the brakes so i can roll it out of the garage to start the rear swap and rebuild

You must be registered for see images attach

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
putting on brake caliper is not as easy as it seems it should be, couldnt get a slide bolt to line up with the threads, and some how pinched an internal rubber bushing. Which ripped trying to get out, had to hammer the bolt out, but it shredded the threads on a grease whole. So now i need to fix the seal and get a new slide bolt

Last edited:

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torsion bar bracket and bars installed today, the bracket is a bit tricky on the 2 door frame, not much room to maneuver that thing. Cleaned and polished some brake lines today as well. The bars glide right in and out of the keys and control arms, was very satisfying doing it

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take two with caliper a success, kind of glad i messed up the bolt and bushing, i was attempting to put the passenger side on the driver side. Rotor spins with no metal grinding, i take that as a ok. Pretty sure the knuckle and the caliper do not have the .010-.024 total clearance from both being powder coated

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My "while im in there" bug is getting to me today, slow day at work has me contemplating if I should just pull the entire transmission and transfer case out to clean and paint it. I have no reason to suspect anything is wrong with either so I think a rebuild or getting a reman is not in the picture, just 172k on each as far as i know. I plan on replacing the transmission cooler lines and transmission mount, not sure yet how challangeing those will be with the transmission in place.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youtube is full of videos of rear disk converisons and they are 99% LSMFG kits.

The kit with all the bells and whistles comes out to $1200 after tax.
My factory “gmt800 Kit” cost $900, and thats the price for good new quality parts. Could go cheaper if wanted to shop for lower quality. Only junk yard item worth getting that could save some money is the flange bracket. I think they are $70 new, they are just a pain to get in the junk yard. I walked around until i found some suvs that had the dif opened and removed, makes for getting the axle shafts out a lot easier. I had to buy one dust shield, 99% of junkyard ones were bent. Hopefully when i get to this project i can make a video of the process. Not pictured are the 4 bolts that mount the calipers.

rear pads NS834buybrakes116
rear calipers S4764amazon169
rear disk rotors AR8645XPRrockauto184
parking brake kit 1792236rockauto63
parking brake cable 18p2542rockauto21
parking brake cable 18p2612rockauto28
Caliper bolt 14006rockauto12
brake spacer 60mmcunninghammachine123
Rear brake line 950.66500Buybrakes54
745-40001/2-20rear brake889.98
Dust shield Summit $25
Flang bracket Summit $15

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the flange threads has some king of obstruction. May require re tapping the thread

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 13

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Structural integrity be damned, i do not have the hands of a tiny asian women to be cleaning in this stupid engineering mistake

You win on diligence. I just wiped in there as far as I could and sprayed paint in there. There was so much oil inside that I doubt it will ever rust.....